A horse stamped on my bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnb

Veteran
Why is it ok for a horse to attack someone but not a dog? Genuine question.

Cynical (and not very serious) answer - because dogs are owned by common people so they would have to be held responsible but horses are owned by posh people who don't want it on their insurance thank you very much.

More serious answer. Because while both can be unpredictable and dangerous it is reasonable to expect a dog owner to be able to restrain their dog whereas if half a tonne of horse decides to be flighty there's not much a person can do other than wait for them to calm down, and as someone else said dogs are attack animals and so will attack whereas a horse will generally just want to get away if you stand aside a frightened horse will probably run away, stand aside from a frightened dog and it may decide to turn round and attack you

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think this is the kind of 'debate' in which cyclists can betray something of themselves. The roads are public space. People are entitled to walk on roads, to cycle on roads, to drive cars on roads and to ride horses on roads. They've been doing the horse thing for longer than people have been doing the bike and car thing.

Public space is there to be shared, and that takes consideration. Horses are easily spooked (I've seen one rear up when confronted with a wind-blown newspaper) and it behoves cyclists to behave considerately. There's quite a lot at stake - regrettably horses have been killed by cars, and horseriders have been killed when their mount has been spooked.

The CTC campaigned to have byways opened up to cyclists. They were supported in this by the British Horse Federation. That, I think, shows horseriders to be a welcoming bunch. I'm sure most of us appreciate the variety that horses bring to the road and give horseriders notice of our approach and give horses the widest berth possible, but it doesn't hurt to affirm that occasionally.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think this is the kind of 'debate' in which cyclists can betray something of themselves. The roads are public space. People are entitled to walk on roads, to cycle on roads, to drive cars on roads and to ride horses on roads. They've been doing the horse thing for longer than people have been doing the bike and car thing.

Public space is there to be shared, and that takes consideration. Horses are easily spooked (I've seen one rear up when confronted with a wind-blown newspaper) and it behoves cyclists to behave considerately. There's quite a lot at stake - regrettably horses have been killed by cars, and horseriders have been killed when their mount has been spooked.

The CTC campaigned to have byways opened up to cyclists. They were supported in this by the British Horse Federation. That, I think, shows horseriders to be a welcoming bunch. I'm sure most of us appreciate the variety that horses bring to the road and give horseriders notice of our approach and give horses the widest berth possible, but it doesn't hurt to affirm that occasionally.

Hear hear. We're all in it together.

In this case, it sounds like the riders happened to be less nice people*, but that's no reason to hate them all, any more than we should be tarred with the same brush as red light jumping numpties.

*or possibly, just very spooked by the whole situation themselves, and therefore on the defensive, and not thinking.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Public space is there to be shared, and that takes consideration. ...........

........The CTC campaigned to have byways opened up to cyclists. They were supported in this by the British Horse Federation. That, I think, shows horseriders to be a welcoming bunch. I'm sure most of us appreciate the variety that horses bring to the road and give horseriders notice of our approach and give horses the widest berth possible, but it doesn't hurt to affirm that occasionally.

Exactly, we all have to share, so if a horse damages the property of a gent who has considerately moved out of the way to allow you past surely the horse rider/owner should show equal consideration by attempting to make amends. Not riding off while shouting abuse? I am sure most horse riders would do the decent thing but that was clearly not the case in this instance.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I live in Epsom. Was it Rifle Butts Alley by any chance? That's a fun descent, as long as your bike is tough!!

Anyway, it sounds like you had tried to get out of the way of the horses, so I don't see how this is your fault. And even if the rider wasn't at fault, the costs should come out of their insurance. They absolutely should not have ridden off without checking you were OK and leaving details.

Unfortunately there are tons of stables in the area, so you'll have trouble tracing them.

Some of the horsey people round Epsom can be right peanuts. The other day I was coming along a bridleway, and came up behind two horses. I slowed right down and called "good afternoon". I asked how best to proceed past, but they were turning into a stable just ahead so I waited for them. One of them was very nice and thanked me; the other gave me a dirty look and didn't say a word.

byegad

Legendary Member
if you can get hold of the riders they should have an insurance company to claim on, ours are covered third party independantly of their health cover

don't know much about mountain bikes though

I knew a guy very into horses who got his car door dented by a kick from a passing horse. He tried to claim from the rider's insurance. They did stop and give their details. His solicitor told him the people who insure horses have hardly ever paid out on such a claim in over 100 years. Sure enough they didn't and offered to go to court to prove he parked too close to the horse! So maybe even if you can trace the yobs on horseback you won't get anywhere.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :sad:

The point about riders and horses being killed is a good one but my ex-wifes dentist and his wife were killed when a stray horse crossed in front of them in the dark. It took the roof off the car from the bonnet up! NASTY! And yes the horse was destroyed on the spot too, but in my book 1 horse comes nowhere near two people's lives.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Exactly, we all have to share, so if a horse damages the property of a gent who has considerately moved out of the way to allow you past surely the horse rider/owner should show equal consideration by attempting to make amends. Not riding off while shouting abuse? I am sure most horse riders would do the decent thing but that was clearly not the case in this instance.
I'd agree with that entirely. And I'd suggest that causing damage to property and not exchanging details is a matter for the police, if you think there is a swift way to identify the culprit.

lukesdad

Ive ridden and lived with horses for a long time, and just can t picture a horse stamping on a bike other than by accident or being forced to.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The point about riders and horses being killed is a good one but my ex-wifes dentist and his wife were killed when a stray horse crossed in front of them in the dark. It took the roof off the car from the bonnet up! NASTY! And yes the horse was destroyed on the spot too, but in my book 1 horse comes nowhere near two people's lives.

I dunno, there's a few people I'd happily swap for a horse. I'm sure they weren't those sort of people though.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Byegad's post makes very sad reading, but I don't know what you can do about stray horses other than to insist that people care for them properly.

I confess that, on a personal level, I really don't like horses. I've been chased by a bolting horse, and I reckon that it was my finest cycling hour. It's just that I don't really see them as much of a threat in comparison with skip lorries, or cars whizzing down country lanes at 50mph - indeed I reckon that with my stealthy cyclists ways I'm a far greater threat to the horse riders than the horse is to me.

lukesdad

Lots of horses being abondoned at the moment through people not being able to keep them. Passport issues and the price of feed especially hay being I suspect the main factors.

henshaw11

I'd agree with that entirely. And I'd suggest that causing damage to property and not exchanging details is a matter for the police, if you think there is a swift way to identify the culprit.

I could well be wrong, but I think the exchanging details thing is for the case of motoring incidents - and in my narrow experience of someone clipping me on the motorbike, the Police may not give a toss that someone scarpered without leaving details ('if you think you know where they live then go and see them'). Irrespective, there's the moral aspect of doing the right thing.

It seems the law changed in the last decade that puts liability on the rider regardless:
http://www.eandl.co....horse-insurance
-tho' without looking further it sounds like a narrow definition may have been made, limiting it to people rather than property...

I'd guess they're just the sort of t*sser that dents your car and effs off...

david1701

I knew a guy very into horses who got his car door dented by a kick from a passing horse. He tried to claim from the rider's insurance. They did stop and give their details. His solicitor told him the people who insure horses have hardly ever paid out on such a claim in over 100 years. Sure enough they didn't and offered to go to court to prove he parked too close to the horse! So maybe even if you can trace the yobs on horseback you won't get anywhere.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :sad:

maybe thats why its cheap :biggrin:

billflat12

Veteran
- we had hopped over a fence to let the horses past but one spooked and stamped! Riders went off giving us a mouthful and i can't trace them!

In your case think horse insurers would maybe apply it as most motor insurers apply "an act of god "

I find it difficult to understand the horse just stamped on your bike for "no understandable reason" , Why would the riders give you a mouthful ? where the riders only walking and aware of you and your bikes presence ? without twisting any words would i be wrong to assume you where probably hidden from view or the horse was maybe unaware of you or your bikes presence , also it panicked an jumped as it suddenly became aware of you or your unattended bike nearby , even the most sedate of horses would spook to some degree at something it was unsure of, that,s their nature. we all know cyclists need constant awareness of traffic, so typically all horse riders need to be constantly aware of any extra potential hazards eg. blowing rubbish, litter discarded by fly tippers etc. ( how would you blame the rider for the ignorance of others ? ) , unfortunately horses being a prey animal their senses are more acute than any rider so this is why any quiet cyclist should give careful respect making sure they announce their presence carefully in advance , most horses will not know what a bell even sounds like so any overuse which is necessary cycling up behind some walkers could cause instant alarm to a horse,( don't even start me on that one ) horses instantly recognize a human voice so typical calling to the rider would be more appropriate.

Top Bottom