A lesson in commuting mastery...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
what is it really makes for this level of commuting mastery?

As above experience and natural risk taking. But you can minimise the risks a bit:

Know the road. Where the potholes are, where the junctions are, and the traffic lights, and how thery phase. Know the bus stops.

This enables you to predict where it's safe to be in the middle because everythings not moving for 5 minutes on a long light, on a long bit of road and where it isn't safe because it's just a temporary slow down, around a couple of side roads. When to undertake a bus because the 192 always turns right here, and when to overtake it, because it has to pull in for the bus stop ahead.

Obviously you also need fast reactions (don't do it after a night out for example) - and to keep your eyes up looking around for drivers changing lanes, random peds walking out etc. - hence if you know where the potholes are, you can spend more time looking out for other dangers.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Personally, I really enjoy filtering and do almost anything to "keep moving" in heavy traffic.(except at the lights where I am happy to sit a few cars back nowadays)

I think, as the traffic jams up towards the end of my journey, it feels like a reward as I become the fastest thing on the road (as apposed to being buzzed by faster moving traffic for miles and miles).

I think the "art" (if there is one) is to enjoy it and be comfortable with it as this generates greater focus and awareness of your surroundings. If you are uncomfortable, or don’t enjoy it... don’t try it.

QuinnDexter

Filtering in traffic can be an art. It took me a year to build up confidence to do it in rush hour. Just make sure you can overtake cars safetly and that you can be seen in their wing mirrors. Weaving in and out of cars in rush hour is not recommended though as most drivers are still half asleep and won't see you.

if you need to come backinto the flow of traffic then put your hand out to the car behind you and let them know you want to rejoin the queue. Works a treat. Just be courtious to them and you can zoom in and out of Manc in no time.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I was filtering on the A57 just before Salford Quays, I was doing around 22mph and at the lights a motorbiker pulled up besides me and said "That's some pace you got there, its the speed I usually filter at" Made me proud, I knew he was behind me all the way and even pulled away from him. Bottom line is, as others have said its all about confidence in yourself and have escape routes planned in advance.

joolsybools

biking_fox said:
As above experience and natural risk taking. But you can minimise the risks a bit:

Know the road. Where the potholes are, where the junctions are, and the traffic lights, and how thery phase. Know the bus stops.

This enables you to predict where it's safe to be in the middle because everythings not moving for 5 minutes on a long light, on a long bit of road and where it isn't safe because it's just a temporary slow down, around a couple of side roads. When to undertake a bus because the 192 always turns right here, and when to overtake it, because it has to pull in for the bus stop ahead.

Obviously you also need fast reactions (don't do it after a night out for example) - and to keep your eyes up looking around for drivers changing lanes, random peds walking out etc. - hence if you know where the potholes are, you can spend more time looking out for other dangers.

Good advice, - when you are learning/improving only take risks on road you know.

BUT

remember that traffic light phasing can change, never ever assume it will be the same as yesterday on a complex junction (esp in London/other cities)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think you just take a risk with which you are comfortable. Some people zip down a canyon of two double deckers, judging by the helmet cam posts. Some people have no problem with sneaking up the inside of the pavement next to a large vehicle. It is a personal choice, but I'm old enough to feel mortal so I tend to err on the side of caution.

Safe rides people.

GrasB

Veteran
joolsybools said:
remember that traffic light phasing can change, never ever assume it will be the same as yesterday on a complex junction (esp in London/other cities)
+1 I know a number of traffic lights that change phasing depending on the time, so if you come across them 15m earlier than normal then you could potentially end up hung out to dry.

Top Bottom