A-Level Computing Student - Cycling Route Generator Software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ryanb162

Hi,
For my 2nd year computing coursework I have decided to make a piece of software that will generate a cycling route for you based on criteria. For example "I want a bike ride thats mainly off road going towards point b".

To help me with my coursework it would be really helpful if you could answer the questions in the survey which should take no more than 5 minutes.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8MYK3S8

Thanks for your time :smile:

If you have anything you want to elaborate on feel free to post it in the thread, thanks.

D

Deleted member 23692

There's a problem with some of the question validations as I can answer 'other' to questions where the set answers are irrelevant :sad:

fossala

Guru
I would love it if you made it open source. While you are at it, make it Linux and *BSD compatable. This is a market that needs this, Windows and Mac OS already have a lot of competing software.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Done - ignore the tick for Q5, as I gave multiple answers in the 'other' box, but the survey required a tick as well (as Ffoeg mentioned).

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Done. I don't know whether it's feasible but cyclestreets.net use open source maps and I've found from personal experience that they're very helpful. It might be worth contacting them directly - they might be able to give you some excellent help.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Whilst this survey is probably being carried out just so you can state you did some primary research in your coursework report (jumping through hoops) and the results will probably only loosely influence what you are going to do (so you can claim in your report that you provided what people want) I am curious to know what you perceive as the novelty in your idea?

OP
OP
R

ryanb162

Thanks to everyone who's answered all ready, i've so far got 18 responses, the problem mentioned earlier about the other box has now been fixed :smile:
For those that have suggested I open source it, i'm not allowed to do this until after I've submitted the coursework and had it marked, once its marked I will open source it and allow others to contribute to it.
@deptfordmarmoset i'm looking at using open data in the map, possibly cyclestreets or google maps. Another source of open data especially in Greater Manchester is locations of cycle lockers as some people said this would be good information to include on the map.
@Rob3rt I think this is answering your question unless I misunderstood it. While doing my research I found loads of different programs and websites that do similar things, to plan bike rides but non of them were perfect, for each one I wrote about in my coursework research each one had at least one problem so I decided to make something that built upon ideas all ready about and enhance them. As well as that I was struggling for ideas at the start so my teacher told me to do something related to what I was interested in and I chose cycling.

Done. Not a bad survey actually!
I mentioned it on my answers but if you could include a feature to say something like "I want a Xx mile bike ride starting and finishing at this point, on road, which includes the most Hill climbing possible" well... I'd pay for that!

Lincov

Done, good luck! I'd suggest taking a longish route (e.g. Coventry to Bromsgrove :-)) and trying several different routing apps. You'll be amazed at the difference, and it might give you some ideas about what makes a good route or a bad route. E.g. the Google maps route is longer on a bike than in a car because it overly favours cycle routes. Some routes are unnecessarily complicated making them harder to follow from memory or written directions. Ideally I want a route that's simple enough I can memorise it.

OP
OP
R

ryanb162

I've now got more than enough responses so I have closed the survey, thanks for everyones help.

@CopperCyclist not sure if this is possible but i'll take a look.
@Lincov thanks, i'll take a look at that now

Top Bottom