A Little Unsteady

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello. I am a new forum member. I am currently shopping for a Brompton as its folding ability would solve several issues with my current location. So I thought this would be a good source of info.

My first post seemed to vanish. I was asking whether it was okay to ride with the seat post fully extended. Well I just got back from my LBS and a test ride told me the seat was not quite high enough. They will be getting a longer post in shortly and will install it to allow for a further test ride.

I noticed the bike was a little unsteady and I have found this thread very reassuring.

The bike I rode was a 6 speed and I found the shifting very impressive. I also thought the construction was a lot "tighter" than I expected.

Overall, if the longer seat post allows for proper leg extension I think I am going to buy one.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hello. I am a new forum member. I am currently shopping for a Brompton as its folding ability would solve several issues with my current location. So I thought this would be a good source of info.

My first post seemed to vanish. I was asking whether it was okay to ride with the seat post fully extended. Well I just got back from my LBS and a test ride told me the seat was not quite high enough. They will be getting a longer post in shortly and will install it to allow for a further test ride.

I noticed the bike was a little unsteady and I have found this thread very reassuring.

The bike I rode was a 6 speed and I found the shifting very impressive. I also thought the construction was a lot "tighter" than I expected.

Overall, if the longer seat post allows for proper leg extension I think I am going to buy one.
Welcome Andy, I did respond to your earlier message regarding the seat post. Good to hear that they're getting an extended seat post for you.

shingwell

I was asking whether it was okay to ride with the seat post fully extended.
Yes, and life is easier if fully extended is the right height for you because you just pull it up and go instead of faffing trying to find the right height each time you unfold it.

OP
OP
iSee

iSee

Regular

Hello, Andy

I'm finding out that a bit of unsteadiness is normal for a folding bike with such small wheels. If I'm correct, I believe the Brompton has 16" wheels, correct? The Dahon that I own is a well built bike with decent components, but it's the ride quality that I don't particularly care for. Riding along and constantly having to pay attention to and correcting it's steering takes a lot of joy out of riding. Well, that's my take on it for now. But I will persevere with it and hopefully over time I will get accustomed to how it handles. That's what many here are assuring me of. So I will go along with all what the experienced folding bike riders here are telling me. Anyway, Andy, I don't know how the Brompton rides, but I do suggest giving the bike a thorough tryout before purchasing. You mentioned solving several issues, so I assume that you are in need of the bike for commuting. If that be the case, it will be a good choice for you as from what I have seen, the Brompton has a rather unique folding style. I wish you well with the Brompton and hopefully the longer seat post helps with the riding ability for you.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Yes, and life is easier if fully extended is the right height for you because you just pull it up and go instead of faffing trying to find the right height each time you unfold it.
You can get a gadget - or you could - to fit over the seat post to stop it coming any higher than you need it to. I got one and it was easy to fit and, as you say, prevents the faffing about.

OP
OP
iSee

iSee

Regular
You can get a gadget - or you could - to fit over the seat post to stop it coming any higher than you need it to. I got one and it was easy to fit and, as you say, prevents the faffing about.
May I ask what that gadget is? When unfolding the bike, it becomes a pain looking for the mark you put on the post each time you raise it.

12boy

Guru
Since the post is flared on the bottom, there is a plastic inset Brompton sells that will limit the travel and which you simply cut to size.

Welcome Andy, I did respond to your earlier message regarding the seat post. Good to hear that they're getting an extended seat post for you.
Thank you.

Top Bottom