A long, good, Friday ride: Todmorden-Wray (100 miles) or Whalley-Wray (100 km). FRI, 22nd June, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whenever I hear the word mojo it reminds me of Mojo Hand, a song by Sam Lightnin' Hopkins.

Not sure what it means, but I like the tune and Hopkins' guitar picking style.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgp74TJZPKo

Ha ha, fantastic song that one Rob.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
According to THIS it is a small bag containing voodoo 'magic', presumably to help him entice the straying woman back!

@Littgull - thinking about what we were saying yesterday about catching the train to rides and spending less time trudging up and down the A646 ... I reworked the Wray route today to start and finish at Rose Grove station (for those not in the know, it is on the fringes of Burnley/Padiham). That knocked 32 km of main road off our route which I have made up elsewhere on much nicer roads. While I was at it I put in an alternative road back from West Bradford to Whalley to save going through Mitton, which we have done rather a lot in the past. (The route is the same as we have done in the past from Cow Ark through Wray and back to West Bradford.)

The new route is 162 km (an imperial century) from Rose Grove but is significantly further to Wray and a shorter distance back so I propose a cafe stop earlier on at Chipping after 54 km. The Wray cafe stop would now be at 99 km and we would only be doing 63 km back from there.

Alternatives for those wanting shorter rides: Spring Wood - Spring Wood = 140 km (a VERY long metric century). Parking at Waddington, then cycling up to meet us at Cow Ark, leaving us at West Bradford to return to Waddington = 86 km (a long half imperial century). Meeting us at Slaidburn on the way out and heading back to Slaidburn after Gisburn Forest = 55 km (a long half metric century).

So the new route could cater for riders wanting to do a wide range of distances. They would still have to tackle the biggest climbs of the day though. The full route is a few hundred metres hillier than yesterday's, so it would not be for faint-hearted hill-dodgers!

The trains to and from Rose Grove are about once an hour so we could moderate our return pace to arrive at Rose Grove without too much time in hand. (Given that it takes less than an hour to cycle back from there, it would be annoying to just miss a train - we might as well ride home if that happened!)

I feel tempted to offer this one up as a forum ride later in the summer, but make it a Saturday and give much more notice.

Last edited:
According to THIS it is a small bag containing voodoo 'magic', presumably to help him entice the straying woman back!

@Littgull - thinking about what we were saying yesterday about catching the train to rides and spending less time trudging up and down the A646 ... I reworked the Wray route today to start and finish at Rose Grove station (for those not in the know, it is on the fringes of Burnley/Padiham). That knocked 32 km of main road off our route which I have made up elsewhere on much nicer roads. While I was at it I put in an alternative road back from West Bradford to Whalley to save going through Mitton, which we have done rather a lot in the past. (The route is the same as we have done in the past from Cow Ark through Wray and back to West Bradford.)

The new route is 162 km (an imperial century) from Rose Grove but is significantly further to Wray and a shorter distance back so I propose a cafe stop earlier on at Chipping after 54 km. The Wray cafe stop would now be at 99 km and we would only be doing 63 km back from there.

Alternatives for those wanting shorter rides: Spring Wood - Spring Wood = 140 km (a VERY long metric century). Parking at Waddington, then cycling up to meet us at Cow Ark, leaving us at West Bradford to return to Waddington = 86 km (a long half imperial century). Meeting us at Slaidburn on the way out and heading back to Slaidburn after Gisburn Forest = 55 km (a long half metric century).

So the new route could cater for riders wanting to do a wide range of distances. They would still have to tackle the biggest climbs of the day though. The full route is a few hundred metres hillier than yesterday's, so it would not be for faint-hearted hill-dodgers!

The trains to and from Rose Grove are about once an hour so we could moderate our pace to arrive at Rose Grove without too much time in hand. (Given that it takes less than an hour to cycle back from there, it would be annoying to just miss a train - we might as well ride home if that happened!)

I feel tempted to offer this one up as a forum ride later in the summer, but make it a Saturday and give much more notice.

That's an absolutely superb piece of route re-jigging @ColinJ. Yes a great idea to offer the revised route up later this summer as a forum ride.
I reckon you should add 'Route Planner General' to the description in your avatar :bicycle:.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's an absolutely superb piece of route re-jigging @ColinJ. Yes a great idea to offer the revised route up later this summer as a forum ride.
I reckon you should add 'Route Planner General' to the description in your avatar :bicycle:.
This is what I had in mind ... Original route between Rose Grove and Whalley, then up the hill above Whalley (resisting the temptation to kill us going up Whalley Nab! :okay:), over Longridge Fell, then part of Beacon Fell, round to cafe #1 in Chipping, up to Cow Ark, then as before to cafe #2 in Wray, and after that to West Bradford, through Clitheroe, Pendleton and Wiswell to Whalley, and back on the original route to Rose Grove.

Rose Grove - Wray.png

Top Bottom