A lot of very poor rear lights around at the mo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Poor people who have to cycle behind you! On the night rides people are asked to mask overbright lights for other people's comfort.
Indeed, I use different power levels and different modes for night and day so not to blind other road users. The last thing I want is to blind people and make them uncomfortable. That could make them behave badly towards me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Can't argue with you because I have no ststistical evidence. From experience on my commute, on the totally unlit sections of country'ish road. It is the cars coming from behind that I percieve to pose the most threat. They most definitely pass a lot closer than the cars on the other side of the road.
Obvious statement is obvious?

I use 2 rear Poundland lights one on the rucksack and one on the bike and they are bright I've checked myself..... The secret is keeping the batteries charged.... I charge all my batteries every weekend.

Another tip is too keep them dry or they pack up. I put mine in a money bag before attaching them to bike/rucksack

Edit: I do use 3 front lights though one decent light and a poundland front and a flashing led... along with hi-viz cycling jacket. I hope I'm bright enough

oiljam

Active...ish Member
I think its the cold that's killing the batteries. I have two very good smart rear light that were both very dim on my commute home this week. I've now started taking my lights off and taking them inside rather than out in the cold. Even when its in the garage now I'm going to take them off to go inside the house.....keep ye batteries warm, its too cold for em :cold:

Sara_H

Guru
One thing I've noticed recently is people having good enough lights, but then covering them, either with a low slung shoulder bag at the back, or bag in a basket on the front!
My front light is mounted inside my basket poking out at the front. It's in a similar position to a motorbike light which seems to make oncoming motorists falter.

I'm a bit worried about rear lights. I always have two on in case one fails and I dont realise.

The membership of this Forum is probably enlightened compared with the general cyclist on the road.

Where do you go for advice?

Perhaps the RAC would be reasonable?

Except they are responsible for this stupidity

51XR0Z1oE6L._SX450_.jpg

619y%2BEZE%2BnL._SL1024_.jpg

These are twenty year old green LEDs and very poor output. Yet to an innocent one would assume that a set of lights being sold for your bicycle bythe RAC would be suitable

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
2796841 said:
They probably put their name to those a couple of decades ago when they were state of the art.
The membership of this Forum is probably enlightened compared with the general cyclist on the road.

51XR0Z1oE6L._SX450_.jpg

These are twenty year old green LEDs and very poor output. Yet to an innocent one would assume that a set of lights being sold for your bicycle bythe RAC would be suitable

51XR0Z1oE6L._SX450_.jpg

It says 'Quick release for security'. No need for quick release, there's nothing more secure than something not worth stealing. Those lights really are tat!

Attachments

• 51XR0Z1oE6L._SX450_.jpg
    51XR0Z1oE6L._SX450_.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 619y%2BEZE%2BnL._SL1024_.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 24

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It says 'Quick release for security'. No need for quick release, there's nothing more secure than something not worth stealing. Those lights really are tat!

They're alright. No use for pitch blackness but fine as a be-seen. For me there is too much illumination on the road, not too little. All-year commuters and night-riders will want to invest in a decent see-with front light, but in the lighting arms-race the losers will be pedestrians, kids on bikes, casual cyclists, people who can't afford fancy lights, or people whose batteries just happened to run out... Car lights are far too bright. We should all dim the lights, and start looking around us again.

Davidsw8

Saw someone yesterday with the rear light on the front of her bike...

Octet

Veteran
I cycled past someone today, who was wearing all black, grasping what appeared to be a 2 litre bottle of cola between their hand and the handlebars and then with the other holding a phone.
The person had no rear or front lights, no reflectors, nothing... it was only because of the car behind, illuminating the road into the distance that allowed me to see them in advance, and my front light isn't exactly dim!

If it wasn't for me being there with my rear lights and reflectors, dare I say the car behind might very well of continued at 35 Mph into the back of them without seeing them?

To make matters worse, the roads around here have no street lights and shaded by trees meaning it is truly pitch black.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The thing is, that sometimes you switch your rear lights on after the batteries have had a rest. Five minutes later, when you're on your way, they're glimmering like anorexic glow-worms - but you don't realise because you can't see them and in traffic, you have other things on your mind.

Check and change or charge batteries regularly, have backup lights, and if you see someone else not showing a good light - tell 'em. It can't hurt.

Top Bottom