A lot of very poor rear lights around at the mo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
These last few weeks, I've seen many cyclists with terrible lights. I'm sure we've all fallen for the 'buy cheap/buy twice' mistake at some point (me included). I've approached a fair few cyclists from behind where I've seen their rear reflector lit up by my front light well before I've seen their dim rear lights. Sometimes I suppose that it's because their batteries are almost flat, sometime it's just the fact that they've bought their lights from Poundland?

I suppose the real danger though is that as people have done their duty with regards to the law, they think that they're visible to traffic, and may ride in a manner that they're seen-so they're safe.......which could lead to them putting themselves in more dangerous situations?

If I see someone without lights, I usually say "You're lights aren't working/batteries are gone mate" as I pass, and usually receive a 'Thanks'. Don't think I'd get a 'Thanks' for telling someone their lights are rubbish though? There have been many threads on light set ups, but decent rears needn't cost a fortune. I run two Blackburn 4.0s (on 'strobe') and they're awesome for the price, and I do get good comments from other cyclists. Obviously not all 'cheap' lights are rubbish, but it's worth people checking their light set up from 100 yards or so to get an idea of what motorists see.

paul04

Über Member
I see quite a few cyclist on the way to work (and on the way home) without any lights, or as you say they have lights, but are very poor.

At the moment I'm using 3 rear lights, one fix and 2 flashing, I have 3 lights on the front, only use 2 as the 3rd is for back up or unlite roads.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Poor lights or no lights.Even saw two community officers with no rear lights although I was a pedestrian when I spotted them.Polce van passed a few minutes later.Wonder if they got pulled up.Somehow I doubt it.

I run 2 Smart superflash (steady) rear rewired to work off an 18650 battery plus a magicshine (flashing) rear...A CREE TR801 (flashing) plus a CREE SG main light (steady) (front)

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I run 2 Smart superflash (steady) rear rewired to work off an 18650 battery

Pics !!!!

No excuse for crap lights. Cycling down the A34 dual carriageway today. 3 cyclists in front at varying distances upto half a mile ahead. The two high viz cyclists did not stand out from the traffic, other than a blob at the side of the lane in the distance. The one that did stand out was using a Leyzene rear light (or looked like it) and he could be seen a long way off.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My rear was really poor, it took a pal to point it out to me. I had no idea, I thought it looked fine.

I switch it on in the office and the workshop so rarely allow a chance to see what it's truly like in the dark or the sodium dark of London

Was amazed at the difference when I swapped the batteries.

If you see someone who's light is failing, let them know at the traffic lights..politely, chances are, they haven't a clue.

One of our Registrars rides in, I think he gets train from Leeds to Wakefield, then ride up
He's on a Dahon folder, BUT, given his experience of what it's like in A&E departments around the region, & the prevalence of 'SMIDSYs' & RTC's, his lighting situation is feeble!!!

A small LED rear, that's loose & dangling on the seat-stay, a 'glow-worm' of a front

Granted, he does wear one of those Altura(?) Night-Vision jackets, but I really thought that a highly intelligent man like Andy would really know far far better!!!!

stoobydale

Über Member
Just got back from the pub so fee free to dismiss my comments.:cheers::wacko: Everyone goes on about the front light lumens, lux bla bla bla. For me the rear light is most important because thats's the first thing that the traffic on your side of the road sees. Spend money here, this is where it could save your life if you commute.

crazyjoe101

I see more cyclist on the road with rear lights emitting the dying glow that dained batteries provide than I see without any lights at all.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Pics !!!!

No excuse for crap lights. Cycling down the A34 dual carriageway today. 3 cyclists in front at varying distances upto half a mile ahead. The two high viz cyclists did not stand out from the traffic, other than a blob at the side of the lane in the distance. The one that did stand out was using a Leyzene rear light (or looked like it) and he could be seen a long way off.

Will get down to that.Also have converted a digital display battery tester so it tests the 18650's (It was a powerbank for mobile phones and was fitted with a 3.6 volt battery originally,now removed),so I can predict how long they will last.

snailracer

Über Member
Just got back from the pub so fee free to dismiss my comments.:cheers::wacko: Everyone goes on about the front light lumens, lux bla bla bla. For me the rear light is most important because thats's the first thing that the traffic on your side of the road sees. Spend money here, this is where it could save your life if you commute.
Yebbut something like 3 out of 4 collisions are due to motorists not seeing your bike from the front.
Having a light on the rear makes less of a difference, probably because rear-facing reflectors work reasonably well (unlike front and side reflectors). I spent a few years living abroad in a US state where the law required a front bike light, but only reflectors on the rear.

Last edited:

stoobydale

Über Member
Yebbut something like 3 out of 4 of all collisions are due to motorists not seeing your bike from the front.
Can't argue with you because I have no ststistical evidence. From experience on my commute, on the totally unlit sections of country'ish road. It is the cars coming from behind that I percieve to pose the most threat. They most definitely pass a lot closer than the cars on the other side of the road.

Stephen C

Über Member
One thing I've noticed recently is people having good enough lights, but then covering them, either with a low slung shoulder bag at the back, or bag in a basket on the front!

Top Bottom