Battery lights that permanently attach to the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My last lights have died, so I am in the market for new ones.

I want something that mounts direct to a my crown with screws, so I don't have to carry it round with me when I park. I'm not that worried about theft.

My eyesight is not what it was a couple of years ago (I am legal to drive with a prescription). I want something dark enough for country lanes at night on road, but not bright enough to dazzle car drivers.

Ideally, I would like a battery pack which I can take in for charging, or maybe even a bottle dynamo? I like bottle dynamos, but the one I used to buy doesn't seem to exist anymore (B&M Lumotec 6).

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Just get a dynamo hub. Solved.

My last lights have died, so I am in the market for new ones.

I want something that mounts direct to a my crown with screws, so I don't have to carry it round with me when I park. I'm not that worried about theft.

My eyesight is not what it was a couple of years ago (I am legal to drive with a prescription). I want something dark enough for country lanes at night on road, but not bright enough to dazzle car drivers.

Ideally, I would like a battery pack which I can take in for charging, or maybe even a bottle dynamo? I like bottle dynamos, but the one I used to buy doesn't seem to exist anymore (B&M Lumotec 6).

Even good bottle dynamos on brazed mounts can't hold a candle to dynohubs.
B&B are the goto company for dynamo lamps. Do they make a perma mount battery model ?

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
If you're willing to take a battery pack indoors with you, why not the whole lamp?
Because that would be one lump instead of two. And a rectangular one at that. Also, no readjusting headlight position when you get back on.

Many years ago, I had an old Cateye system with a lead acid battery. Weighed a ton but was the best at the time.

Something like that.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
These beasts from the 90s locked onto the bike...

Retro-Vintage-1990s-Duracell-Rear-Bike-Light-Film.jpg

but i wouldn't recommend them :whistle:

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
A whole new bike may be overkill. :laugh:

I noticed that a certain auction site is still selling B&M Lumotec 6s for the princely sum of £17.99. I am sure the last one I bought about 20 years ago was more than that.

But then, I've seen one of these - doesn't fulfil my requirements but cheap enough. I shall pick one up and report back in the new year.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373803518347

There seems to be a lot of reliance on rubber bands for modern bike lights, even expensive ones. It is not a nice solution.

For the rear light, I will rely on my Vistalite Road Toad. Still blinking out the decades!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A whole new bike may be overkill. :laugh:

I noticed that a certain auction site is still selling B&M Lumotec 6s for the princely sum of £17.99. I am sure the last one I bought about 20 years ago was more than that.

But then, I've seen one of these - doesn't fulfil my requirements but cheap enough. I shall pick one up and report back in the new year.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373803518347

There seems to be a lot of reliance on rubber bands for modern bike lights, even expensive ones. It is not a nice solution.

For the rear light, I will rely on my Vistalite Road Toad. Still blinking out the decades!

50 lumens is more of a see me light so dont expect much, heck i think my rear flasher is brighter

Top Bottom