Lights - the commuting version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
I'm putting it here because I really want commuters input - people who ride every day and need a robust reliable light. I'm fed up of buying £100 light for it fail in a years time. Normally the light is technically still working, but the mount or the switch to the charging connection has given up because it simply wasn't designed well enough to cope with being taken off and on the bike twice a day, 5+ days a week for several months in all weathers.

My latest failure was the Blackburn dayblazer, which was bright enough, but the strap failed after a few weeks, replaced, and now the switch is failing, the charging port cover is inconvenient and the whole light doesn't balance well.

So I'm looking for a replacement, something that will last more than a year - what do you use that works?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've used Hope Vision 1's for a good few years now. They are bombproof.
Unfortunately Hope don't make them any more, but you can get them for a good price on ebay. For example
This one, buy it now £40.00 including batteries and charger.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Retired now, but I used Cateye lights and still use them. Their brackets are consistent and were the same over several generations of lights. Cheap and easy to buy additional brackets if you have multiple bikes. Ended up with the Volt 300, which was the brightest I'd encountered and I believe this has been superceded.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've used Hope Vision 1's for a good few years now. They are bombproof.
Unfortunately Hope don't make them any more, but you can get them for a good price on ebay. For example
This one, but it now £40.00 including batteries and charger.

This! Bought one (with another TBC) to supplement the Alpkit Ariel I recently bought. Alpkit have another sale on, so the Ariel is under £40. And very impressive.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
is bike light theft a big thing ?
It might be i dont know as i leave mine on the bike in the work bike sheds and i have never had an issue but i wouldnt do it if i left it in a public place

As a dynohub user , I fitted Busch & Müller front light bolted to the fork crown and Smart rear lamp bolted under the rear luggage rack.
Removable lights are a PITA and eventually you drop and crack them.
LED lights are so good that the difference between average and premium is moot. The reflector pattern and light distribution should be German standard. If you want battery lights, B&M have good ones eith spare mount availability.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It might be i dont know as i leave mine on the bike in the work bike sheds and i have never had an issue but i wouldnt do it if i left it in a public place

Sadly, it is…

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As a dynohub user , I fitted Busch & Müller front light bolted to the fork crown and Smart rear lamp bolted under the rear luggage rack.
Removable lights are a PITA and eventually you drop and crack them.
LED lights are so good that the difference between average and premium is moot. The reflector pattern and light distribution should be German standard. If you want battery lights, B&M have good ones eith spare mount availability.

This. It is destiny do what it says on the box. No gimmick just turn it on it does its job. No charging, batteries. Simple.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

It is 'a thing' - a colleague of mine had his nabbed, and this is in a locked, staff only bike shelter. They weren't even expensive.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm putting it here because I really want commuters input - people who ride every day and need a robust reliable light. I'm fed up of buying £100 light for it fail in a years time. Normally the light is technically still working, but the mount or the switch to the charging connection has given up because it simply wasn't designed well enough to cope with being taken off and on the bike twice a day, 5+ days a week for several months in all weathers.

My latest failure was the Blackburn dayblazer, which was bright enough, but the strap failed after a few weeks, replaced, and now the switch is failing, the charging port cover is inconvenient and the whole light doesn't balance well.

So I'm looking for a replacement, something that will last more than a year - what do you use that works?

I've used Exposure lights for years precisely because whilst expensive, they're bombproof.

I had a Joystick for over a decade before it got lost in a crash, and my main light is a Strada, which again, I've had in daily use for nearly a decade now.

The Joystick once needed a repair which they did for me without charge, though it was way past warranty. The Strada connection to the optional rear light doesn't properly work any more. Otherwise, faultless and miles cheaper than buying cheaper less reliable stuff. Their mounts are much better than anything else I've used too.

Also use one of their helmet mounted lights.

Alex321

Veteran
Halfords 1600 light is very good, although you may want to upgrade the clamp.

That is the one I use, and yes, I replaced the strap with one from a much less powerful Lezyne I still had. The strap on the Halfords one is far too flimsy for repeated removal.

The lezyne strap (still the same basic type) is showing no signs of failure after more than a year.

Top Bottom