Lights - the commuting version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Couple of options, by far the best is the Dynamo type hub, never charge a battery again (sort of)! There are plenty of options available, I use a Supernova E3 Triple with the corresponding Supernova Rear light both paired with an SP Dynamo PD8. Very definitely not cheap, but absolutely worth it, stand light for when at lights or stopped briefly and the front and rear lights are massively visible from distance when moving. Downside is the much harder fitting (you do need to think about how you will run the wires, I run them internally to the frame for example) and the much increased up front expense and the need for a dynamo front wheel for best performance.

Another option is a battery mounted light like the Lezyne 1300xxl which you can mount to the handlebars and which you can run at a lower output than max for a reasonable amount of time (the Lezyne noted runs at ~500lumen for about 8 hours, which is 4 days of commuting an hour each way for example). I have the lezyne with a go-pro adapter, which then fits to a Garmin Varia light mount, which uses a quarter turn fitting onto the bottom of my Garmin mount. This means that I can quickly take the light off and shove it in a bag/pocket and quickly refit it when returning to the bike. Downside is the investment in extra mounting hardware and you're still needing to remove the light to charge batteries etc.

My final option would be an 18650 powered light, for example the Fenix BC30, which mounts quickly and easily to the handlebars and when the battery starts to run low, you can swap a second pair of batteries in quickly. As the batteries are charged separately they are much simpler internally and are incredibly durable. Downside is the increased upfront expense of at least one set of batteries and a charger as well as the need for a charging plan.

How did you manage that?

No idea! One day I just became aware it had dipped a bit - on inspection, the bottom bit with a bolt through it had cracked at the back. The two ends of the bolt were still holding it in place. I'll post a picture one day, as I'd like to see if anyone wants it as a project!

I think everything plastic under strain/compression dies eventually. Not even zip-ties are immortal!

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've had a few different lights over the years but my favourite setup was f+r Lezyne Zecto Drive. Two in the front, two in the rear.

One dark damp cold evening however, I did not see a groove in the road and fell over. That very same night I ordered an Exposure Strada which is fantastically bright and robust.

freiston

Veteran
I fitted a dynamo hub front wheel and dynamo lights in 2015 and pretty much haven't switched them off since, day or night. They still work and I've not had a single issue with them. I reckon that counts as reliable. As far as performance goes, the front light is a B+M "Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T Senso Plus", rated at 80 lux and still gets me enthusiastic about it on the winding single-track country lanes at night - much better than the £100 battery light that it replaced. The back light does a good job too according to others. They're both "standlights" so they have a capacitor which keeps the lights on for a couple of minutes or so after the bike stops.

My purchase was pre-Brexit so I got the front light for £40 from Rose Bikes and the wheel from a German supplier on Ebay for £53 plus £15p&p. Back light was £16 for a brake-light version - it pulses extra power to the LED when the bike slows significantly but doesn't stop (some riders say the brake light works well, others say it doesn't - I daren't look back at it whilst braking).

Rose don't ship to the UK any more but I don't know about the wheel suppliers (on the Ebay/Paypal paperwork as Fahrrad Ohngemach bezahlung@bikeparts.de). Taylor Wheels (a German company despite the name) were a popular company pre Brexit - not sure if they ship to the UK now either.

EDIT: The £53 wheel is a Shimano DH-3N72 hub on an Exal ZX19 rim

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I've used Exposure lights for years precisely because whilst expensive, they're bombproof.

I had a Joystick for over a decade before it got lost in a crash, and my main light is a Strada, which again, I've had in daily use for nearly a decade now.

The Joystick once needed a repair which they did for me without charge, though it was way past warranty. The Strada connection to the optional rear light doesn't properly work any more. Otherwise, faultless and miles cheaper than buying cheaper less reliable stuff. Their mounts are much better than anything else I've used too.

Also use one of their helmet mounted lights.

Same setup I used in winter , “when I was a cyclist “ :-) maybe not quite commuter centric but reliable which is important.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Retired now, but I used Cateye lights and still use them. Their brackets are consistent and were the same over several generations of lights. Cheap and easy to buy additional brackets if you have multiple bikes. Ended up with the Volt 300, which was the brightest I'd encountered and I believe this has been superceded.
I'm a CatEye fan of their front lights.
I like the style, fittings are sturdy, output is good for an urban commute.
I did start with the Volt 100, which I still use in summer, now got a Volt 800.
I own a rear CatEye too, run with an extra Smart (basic but very bright).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hope Vision 1 front light. I had one for 13 years until it (and the bike) got nicked earlier this year. I bought a replacement, secondhand, on Ebay for £40. I use Eneloop AA cells which I recharge on a Technoline BL700 charger. The whole kit and caboodle was recommended to me by @ianrauk all those years ago.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hope Vision 1 front light. I had one for 13 years until it (and the bike) got nicked earlier this year. I bought a replacement, secondhand, on Ebay for £40. I use Eneloop AA cells which I recharge on a Technoline BL700 charger. The whole kit and caboodle was recommended to me by @ianrauk all those years ago.

Nice of you to remember dear chap...because I don't ^_^

This was one of the reasons why i chose a commuter bike with integrated lights. Never need to charge them, no worries about mounting or positioning, never fall off.

All of the above things happened to me over time on various lights. Earlier this year my cateye fell off and before i could turn around and pick it up a truck flattened it, another £50 light down the drain…

I also like the single easy to use switch on the handlebars instead of faffing around searching for hard to find buttons, oh then realise i need to take my gloves off to actually switch my lights on…

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This was one of the reasons why i chose a commuter bike with integrated lights. Never need to charge them, no worries about mounting or positioning, never fall off.

All of the above things happened to me over time on various lights. Earlier this year my cateye fell off and before i could turn around and pick it up a truck flattened it, another £50 light down the drain…

I also like the single easy to use switch on the handlebars instead of faffing around searching for hard to find buttons, oh then realise i need to take my gloves off to actually switch my lights on…

Spooky! The Cateye rear light I bought jumped out of its bracket in a similar fashion and was crushed by the car behind.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm a CatEye fan of their front lights.
I like the style, fittings are sturdy, output is good for an urban commute.
I did start with the Volt 100, which I still use in summer, now got a Volt 800.
I own a rear CatEye too, run with an extra Smart (basic but very bright).

I DON'T find their front light fitting sturdy. The fact they are standard does mean you can get replacements, but I broke two of them in a few months. In a crash, I'd much rather have the rubber strap type mounts.

OP
OP
B

biking_fox

Guru
Thanks for all the suggestions I'll have a look. I'm on a hub gear rear wheel so can't easily dyno that. Have broken (had break) many cateye fittings and mounts over the years.

Top Bottom