A man of his time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
The first name I think of when the Globetrotters get mentioned. IIRC he was one of the main characters in the cartoon tv show too.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
From my childhood perspective, the Harlem Globetrotters were an entity composed of tall black men playing a strange version of netball where you could run with the ball and they were all interchangeable with each other in the entertainment stakes with no individual standing out. The whole was greater than the sum of the parts. Basketball had curiosity value but in my naivety, I thought that it was a girls' game played by men. Even with some extended exposure to the three core televised sports of the USA this summer, basketball, NFL, and baseball, basket ball remained at the bottom of the interest stakes. I saw a reference to his death online in the past few days.

I'm not belittling the man's achievements but the sport and its players might not have a grip on the imagination of the majority of UK residents - a bit like the greats from the international motorcycle trials world who are of interest to a minority of folk.

Basil.B

Guru
Harlem-Globetrotters-Book-2.jpg

No interest in Basketball at all.
However used to love watching The Harlem Globetrotters when I was a nipper!
Remember watching a cartoon series on them too.

Harlem-Globetrotters-Book-2.jpg

No interest in Basketball at all.
However used to love watching The Harlem Globetrotters when I was a nipper!
Remember watching a cartoon series on them too.

IIR it was when Saturday TV started. As a small kid I remember going to the cinema on a Saturday morning but then they started putting kids TV on which we thought was great.

Harlem Globetrotters or Banana Splits were on one side (and probably Scooby doo) and on the other side was White Horses or Black Beauty which my sister, who was horse mad, always wanted to watch.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Sad news. I can dimly remember watching the Globetrotters on our super-duper 20" TV - their games featured lot's of skill but were marginally more fixed than the wrestling - and Meadowlark Lemon was the star performer.

Top Bottom