a metre matters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Absolutely impossible on some of the rural lanes round here. *shrugs*

Ganymede

Veteran
Would love it. I've just come back from France and the 1.5m signs warmed the cockles (not that anyone was actually cycling in the Alps in a blizzard...).

doug

Veteran
Absolutely impossible on some of the rural lanes round here. *shrugs*

Not impossible - if the driver cannot give at least 1metre between their vehicle and the cyclists, then they must not overtake.

Getting it enforced may be impossible though

Linford

The roads in the UK are pretty much all too narrow.
My local commute has people riding on the wrong side of the solid white line (which is about 12" from the grass verge. they occasionally wobble out of that position for a drain. the cars/HGV's/Buses/Etc just usually blast past instead of waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic.
The road needs to be widened by at least 2 metres on each side with a strip wide enough for cyclists to use it safely. I take a 2 mile mile detour when cycle commuting to avoid it (about 3/4 mile long). It is a very busy road :sad:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
People around here are gennerally very good about passing cyclists mainly because everyone knows everyone and give plenty of room. However, during the holiday season that all changes. People from the cities are bloody awful. We cant wait for them to go back home.

Ganymede

Veteran
I think the putting up of signs like those in France could influence the general mindset. As welsh dragon says, most people are pretty good but if asked might not really know what the ideal is. "give 1m passing room or do not pass" + pic of bike could be a useful as a national memo?

ScotiaLass

Guru
I had a close call yesterday.
Some old git in a small Nissan Micra decided rather than wait 10 seconds, he would squeeze by me on the section of road which is narrowed and has bollards to reduce speeding. He almost clipped me!
I shouted something (unrepeatable here 'cos I is a lady) and gave him a sign which isn't in the Highway Code.
I felt better.

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Not impossible - if the driver cannot give at least 1metre between their vehicle and the cyclists, then they must not overtake.

Getting it enforced may be impossible though
I would absolutely hate to cycle for 5 miles with a line of traffic behind me moving at 10-12mph (and you can reduce that to 3mph on some of the hills round here) because they're not allowed to overtake. I'd much rather positive education to encourage respectful road use and sharing rather than a blanket ban because it makes a good soundbite.

doug

Veteran
I would absolutely hate to cycle for 5 miles with a line of traffic behind me moving at 10-12mph (and you can reduce that to 3mph on some of the hills round here) because they're not allowed to overtake. I'd much rather positive education to encourage respectful road use and sharing rather than a blanket ban because it makes a good soundbite.

What I do is pull off the road when feasible - much rather that than them try to squeeze through when there isn't reasonable room

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
And this is why I don't think the campaign is at all logical as it's quite likely that you and I have differing opinions as to what constitutes "reasonable". (And yes, for me it varies depending on the type of road and the speed of the pass - someone squeezing past me at 5mph on a narrow road is fine; the same pass at speed is not, whether on that road or a major one.)

Edit: if the vehicle takes up the whole width of the road, I too will leap into the hedge to avoid getting squashed toes. Always great entertainment when thorns are involved. :ohmy:

Biddy Walton

Even if a metre/a car's width cannot be enforced, planting the idea in a driver's brain has got to be a good thing. Most drivers have no idea what it feels like to experience a close pass. Vague pronouncements of 'give cyclists space' do not help. They think they are giving enough space!
Having to slow down assess if they can give that metre (+) will help our experiences on the road.
There is a Facebook page to disperse this message. Other 'positive shareable messages' coming soon too. Please do check out the page at https://www.facebook.com/aMetreMattersUK . It'd be great to have you 'Like' and 'share' the page and posts.

Top Bottom