A moment of your time if I may?..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
All,
I don't start too many new threads, but apologise for increasing the "new threads" count that you need to plough through by another one today! However, I hope you can give me a couple of moments to read this.

In a couple of weeks I am going to be riding from London, to Paris, and back to London via an indirect route of approximately 600 miles over 6 days.

I’m not really sure whether I’m doing it for the greater good, or whether it’s because I’m simply becoming more and more mentally unhinged the older I get… probably a combination of the two!

The trip was originally completely misold to me as a little "jolly" to Paris over 6 days... "That'll be nice" I thought. "50 miles a day - plenty of time for coffee, croissants and sightseeing!". Well since then I've found out that the distance is actually more than double, it's all for charity, we have corporate sponsors, a logo, and a primary school as well as the local newspaper seeing us off - eek!

Anyway, It’s all for 2 Cystic Fibrosis charities - The Cystic Fibrosis Trust, and Cystic Fibrosis dream holidays. The challenge is the brainchild of a friend of mine James "Robbo" Robson whose son lives with the condition, and there’s a group of 4 of us taking part so we’re trying to have a good stab at raising a few quid to make some lives a little bit better. He's pretty good at this and the energy he's put in has been quite inspirational, so I'm trying to drum up a little support too hence why I'm posting this.

What I'm asking is, if you're in a position to donate, myself and the rest of the team would really appreciate it. Everything helps – if all you can manage is 50p, that's great - it all contributes to that total and making life a little easier for someone with CF. If you're not in a position to donate you can still help by forwarding a link to this post on facebook, twitter etc...

If you can help, we're raising funds on www.havingit4harry.co.uk . There's a bit of background on there too about how it's come about.

Thanks for your time, and thank you in advance for any help you can give.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It seems a bit odd that it's not mentioned on https://www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/ and the link from the donation site goes to a virginmoneygiving page for them, but then clicking Events on that doesn't show any cycling event to Paris... :huh:

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Thank you - appreciated! I know there's so many people doing rides for great charities, and it's impossible to give to all of them so I appreciate it if you can help.

Interestingly I didn't even realise we had a "charity bike rides" section on the forum until my post got moved - I don't think they appear in the new posts tab which is the only one I ever use.

If you're interested in the Robbo's motivations for dreaming this up, I shot a short video for him:

View: https://youtu.be/1e9TnRdwiOw

There's also more at: http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/horley-dad-cycling-600-miles-11230617

I don't know whether he's formally informed the CF trust. He's raised money for them before doing various events. In any case, they should know once they get a payment from Virgin Money!

Tim Hall

Thank you - appreciated! I know there's so many people doing rides for great charities, and it's impossible to give to all of them so I appreciate it if you can help.

Interestingly I didn't even realise we had a "charity bike rides" section on the forum until my post got moved - I don't think they appear in the new posts tab which is the only one I ever use.

If you're interested in the Robbo's motivations for dreaming this up, I shot a short video for him:

View: https://youtu.be/1e9TnRdwiOw

There's also more at: http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/horley-dad-cycling-600-miles-11230617

I don't know whether he's formally informed the CF trust. He's raised money for them before doing various events. In any case, they should know once they get a payment from Virgin Money!

Blimey. That's my neck of the woods (I was born there). What time are you leaving on Thursday?

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Oh yeah - I see - Crawley's just down the road too.
09:15 is what I was last told, although I'll catch up with the others tomorrow morning and see if anything's changed.

Tim Hall

How's it going with regards gearing up for the ride @Mile195. Still looking forward to it?
Keep up at the back. He's done the ride, it was on April 28th.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Yes I made it there, and back! I was home for a week then I've been working abroad for a few weeks - not returning for another 10 days so not been on the forum at all. Purely by chance I logged on today.

Turns out northern France ISNT flat but the tightest gradient I experienced was 18%, and that was in a Paris suburb. All the rest were shallower- just loooong!

I have a lot of downtime where I am at the moment, so I've been cutting the video. There's a lot of work involved as I have footage from four cameras to plough through and I spent a lot of time making an animated title sequence and custom graphics (ripping off the ITV Tour de France music in the process!). But once it's done I'll post a link for you to have a gander at, if you're interested!

Top Bottom