A more suitable commuting tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moda

My bike a Moda Calore is in the LBS for repairs so seems a reasonable time to change the tyres from the knobbly CX ones to a more commuter/road friendly set. Am looking to take the bike to Spain for some mini-touring and long fitness hill climbs. At a stretch could end up in Morocco for a bit.

Can anyone tip the balance for me in suggesting what to get?
Regardless need to buy them in the next few days.
Thanks

MikeW-71

Veteran
Vittoria Rubino Pro, Conti GP4000S

The 4000 are a bit quicker, but usually more expensive. They are the best tyre I've ridden on though.

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

The 4000 are a bit quicker, but usually more expensive. They are the best tyre I've ridden on though.
Have decided to go for a pair of the 4000. The only issue now is size 23, 25 or 28 I believe. Thought that 25 would be a nice middle way.

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Thanks, The bloke in Evans pointed out the 4000 but it also had "vectran breaker" which is a version of the 4000. Is that no good???

Also it appears that there's an issue with tyre size. Could a knowledgeable person look at these rims.....
http://www.eurobike.uk.com/details.aspx?p=394
...... and say if a 25 mm tyre will fit.
Thanks!

As said the GP4000s is a great grippy tyre with better p'ture protection than other race tyres (the vectran belt helps there) but I still wouldn't classify it as a commuting tyre mainly due to the fact you will probably have to replace it more often due to wear (you'll probably p'ture more often when its worn too). The sidewalls are a bit prone to damage (no more than other race tyres though), the vectran doesn't completely cover thatem. If you have lots of money by all means buy them for the commute but be prepared.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i love my marathons,mmmmmmmmmm

boydj

Legendary Member
For commuting / light touring you'll need something a bit more robust than Conti 4000, which is basically a race tyre - and 28mm width, which the CX rims should handle easily, and will be more comfortable and no slower than 25mm. Conti GP 4 Season, Durano Plus, Panaracer Pasela etc. - it's a balance between weight and protection. Have a read on the Schwalbe or Continental web sites to see what the tyres are designed for.

The rims are relatively wide compared to standard road rims and will take even wider tyres than 28s.

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Ok this was starting to get a little stupid with me going round and round in circles between 3 tyres. Everyone seems to have there favourite and nothing else is as good.

So went to the largest bike shop near work and checked out which of the 3 were in stock and how much they were. Turns out they only had one in stock i.e 2 and 25 mm so I bought that. Got a 30% discount so am happy that it's now finally sorted.

Top Bottom