A new beginning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dream T

Hi all just saying hello and thanks to all the reviews I have read here I have taken the plunge and purchased a nice shiney road bike. Went for a B-Twin Triban 3 from Decathlon in Edinburgh, guy in the store was top notch setting everything up for me.

Hopefully this will be the start of a great summer putting in some miles and shifting the gut that comes with 40.

Went out today for the first time and boy did I feel it felt like Bambi on and off the bike and that was only after a few miles,

Any advice on how to build up stamina and bike craft would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Talc1976

Hi Dream T.
6,7 weeks ago i was the same, overweight and unfit.
I am now doing 90+ miles a week and would do more if i had the time.
Just set yourself small goals and stop as many times as you need to. Try and get out at least 3 to 4 times a week and always do a little more than you did the last time and before you know it you will have lost weight and feel great.
I had a set route when i first started of 10 miles and would stop at least 3 times in the same spot and have a breather and a drink, After you have done the route a couple of times you stop 2 times and before you know it you dont need to stop at all.
Good luck, keep going and before you know it you will be like a new man.

Edge705

HI Dream T -Often with shorter distances is better than Occasionaly with longer distances but if you can combine both you'll see a quicker improvement good luck

OP
OP
D

Dream T

Thanks guys I will keep posted on how I get on got a route in mind that works out about 10k with a few hills along the way.

What would be a beginner's average time for 10k just so I can get a comparison to see how far I have to go.

Cherry guys

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Don't worry about comparisons for now, except against yourself as no one else is riding the same route as you on the same bike.
To start with I'd suggest you just get out and ride for fun then see where it goes.

Good luck :smile:

defy-one

I'm doing the same big rectangule around Iver and it's 3 miles for once round. First couple of times it took me ages and my legs were like jelly. Now I'm up to going round twice without stopping so already comfortable doing 6 miles. This is all on a Giant MTB so not the quickest or most efficient bike for roads.
Keep a record and maybe start keeping a note of how your times are coming down. This will help you see the improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Plenty of nice rides in and around the Edinburgh area. Plan yoursef a day out on the bike. Take a bit of food and plenty to drink and stop and check out the scenery. You will notice so much more when you are on the bike. Enjoy the ride and dont push yourself too hard.

I hope that you enjoy your new bike and cycling in general. I bought a Decathlon Fitness 3 (essentially the same bike with flat bars) and it is a really lovely bike. At this stage, I'd recommend just getting on the bike as often as you are able, and enjoying yourself.

caimg

Über Member
I'm drooling over the triban 3 at the mo...can I ask how tall you are? I'm only 5ft8 and not quite sure which size to go for...

OP
OP
D

Dream T

Thanks for the advice guys, will let you all know how I get on over the coming weeks

caimg -- I'm 5ft 9 and went for the 51 frame,when I tried the 54 they had in stock I felt too stretched out, I may only be starting my cycling journey but I think the bike is just the thing for staring out on a budget.

Cheers

Fubar

Guru
Hi all just saying hello and thanks to all the reviews I have read here I have taken the plunge and purchased a nice shiney road bike. Went for a B-Twin Triban 3 from Decathlon in Edinburgh, guy in the store was top notch setting everything up for me.

Hopefully this will be the start of a great summer putting in some miles and shifting the gut that comes with 40.

Went out today for the first time and boy did I feel it felt like Bambi on and off the bike and that was only after a few miles,

Any advice on how to build up stamina and bike craft would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Hi, I have the Triban 3 as well from the same shop and I'm just over the bridge from you - keep a look out for the CC Ecosse rides in the "Informal Rides" section, good to get out with a friendly bunch of guys and plently opportunities to learn. As for building up fitness as others have said set small goals (like trying to improve on a time over the same course) and try not to compare yourself to others - hard not to when they are overtaking you, but do try! I've found it useful entering a Sportive to have something to train for, Pedal for Scotland in September is a good start point. All the best, regards. Mark

Top Bottom