A new dawn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys

Ive been off the forums for a very long time and have no excuse really other than a lot of things have been happening - new woman, got engaged, job bla bla bla. Enough of that humdrum though.

Finally got the Marin Hybrid that I so desperately desired at the start of last year and ever since have been cycling more or less 50-60 miles a week. In addition I have changed my diet slightly, quit smoking, cut down on my alcohol intake to virtually nil and I am starting to see the improvment in muscle and aerobic conditioning.

I have my eye set on either a Genesis Aether or Wilier Escape racing bike for next year and also a bike club is quite enthusiastic to take me on....

The point is I dont know what to do!

Up the miles...?
Turbo train every night?
Do lots of hills?

I would greatly appreciate the feedback from the members that have done the same recently or have any info on what its like to get into comps, races and crits.

QC

Ps Its great to be back on the forums :smile:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
1. enjoy yourself.

Up miles? Only if you have the time.
Turbo Train? Hate exercise where every second my mind is telling me that I can just stop and get off now this instant. Not a choice when you are still 20 miles from home.
Hils? Used to hate them, now I go out hill-hunting every time I get my bike out.
Audax? Sportive? I loved the Sportive that I did. Social riding? Do a bit of that too, as I like a bit of company, encouragement, and a target to aim at.

Theres no doubt about it Jim - the enjoyment factor has to be there otherwise we wouldnt be doing it, but at the same time surely you need to introduce a more professional element to workouts on and off the bike to see results in a years time?

Anyone any workouts or programmes that they do or can recommend. I picked a book up in Waterstones the other day on bike training and it was very hard to understand - I just want laymens terms...

Diet
Workouts
Rest

etc.

Gonna spend today going through old threads and see if anyone has posted anything of that ilk in the last 12 months.

Any additional comments very appreciated.

QC

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Just my 2p worth...

I have found that high intensity training is best, I didnt think it would be but thats what works for me.

It seems that although you might only train for shorter lenghts of time, the benifit is that if you can train for a few minutes at 90% max effort, rest and repeat a few time, then keeping 80% effort doesnt seem so hard.

Whereas, if you go straight into doing long rides at 75% effort you seem to accept that 80% is your max and it knacers you out.

Im not saying long, lower intensity workouts arent valuable, just that higher intensity shorter training seem to give the biggest gains when startin out.

***Disclaimer - get yourself checked out by your doctor before training***

Top Bottom