A new decade soon and no one seems to care.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
2020 and a new decade very soon, there seems to very little fuss about it, is because since the Millennium no one knows what to actually call the decades?

Back when I was a kid it was a big deal when the 70’s became the 80’s, now it seems to have slipped beneath the radar.

I guess the decades will be called what they have always been called...20's 30's 40's etc. maybe it just seemed to be big deal when younger , I personally don't see it as a big thing, after all what actually changes , apart from the date obviously

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Funny enough I was having brunch today with 2 maths teachers and a pensions analyst and one of them seemed to think the decade does not end until the end of 2020 (because it's the end of the 10th year). I initially thought it made sense but I now think it's a load of bollocks as the world celebrated the millennium on 31 Dec 1999 not 31 Dec 2000. IE. The decade runs from 0-9 not 1-10

Edit - I wrote this post same time as @Drago wrote his. The calm before the storm. 😯🌊

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The world celebrated wrong, and at the time there was a moderately vocal "real millenium" campaign which went largely ignored. The year 2000 was just that, the 2000th year AD, the thousandth and final year of the second millennium.

The very first decade started with year 1, not year zero, and all subsequent decades followed suit. Ergo, the next decade also begins with a 1, in this case 2021.

All the business with the namig of time periods, eg, "nineties" is nothing more than a naming convention for years with xx9x, a cardinal decade, a construct invented by the print media in the 1920's, and is different from and separate to the actual temporal decade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom