A new low on the daily commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Also when you put someone under pressure they tend to react unpredictably because they're mentally stressed & pre-occupied with things. It's a good way to make people miss-judge things or simply not read situations properly.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
irontam said:
Yeah, easily said - but it's half seven in the morning, on my way into work and suddenly i'm getting aggro for no reason. Call me a coward, but I didn't really have the time/appetite for a confrontation.

I'm not sure that there was a problem other than the red light jumping problem on your part.....

I'd not be bothered about wheel sucking unless the same rider was doing it to you every day.

GrasB

Veteran
vernon said:
I'm not sure that there was a problem other than the red light jumping problem on your part.....

I'd not be bothered about wheel sucking unless the same rider was doing it to you every day.

If a rider is too close & offset to the outside it puts limits on your ability to see behind you & also the ability to quickly manoeuvre if something happens (one reason that you need a fair amount of space when a car is overtaking you). As I said earlier I went around some glass & got abuse for clipping his front wheel with my rear, sorry but I'm NOT going to cycle through the remains of a bottle/car light/side window as I don't want to write off a tyre & be stuck with multiple punctures.

OP
OP
irontam

irontam

vernon said:

I think the problem is that wheel sucking (I've only now learned this term) isn't a common practise on the daily commute in Edinburgh.

I've been cycling in Edinburgh, both for commuting & leisure for over 16 years and never been 'wheel sucked'. I've seen cyclists slipstreaming one another out on the open roads of East Lothian, but not seen it done on my daily commute, and I've been on my current route approaching three years.

In hindsight (being 20/20) I now see what he was doing. I still don't appreciate it; having to worry about him right up my back along with potholes, cars etc. etc. But I now know what he was trying to do (rather than thinking he was a mentalist) and would tell him to quit it.

Top Bottom