A New Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ian c

ian c

Dimensioning up the box details on the frame is proving interesting as finding obvious points to reference from are very few and far between. Also, the width of the box work is significantly less than half of the circumference, so it's not just a case of doing a quick couple of measurements and away you go. So, taking a short break from this I got out my old dolly and hammers to get the worst of the dents and bulges out the mudguards. The trailing ends were in a pretty bad way, with both of them gnarled and the rear having a nasty twist in it with the rear stay holes heavily banged in as well. A few minutes tapping and they're back in shape ready for a bit of final planishing.

7aR6gz8.jpg

3Iwyffq.jpg

The holes for the rear stay fisheyes isn't very flattering due to the flash I think, they're not dented in as it looks but do need a little bit more work to get them just right.

OP
OP
ian c

ian c

Inbetween new coats of paint on the BSA's swingarm and lower fork legs I got round to getting the dimensions of the boxing done on the frame and forks,using my patented string-and-masking-tape® system.

3KuoLn9.jpg

Okay, it's not patented or remotely clever, just basically identify everything, get some datum points and measure up. The tricky part is finding centre lines from which you can base the dimensions, which after some cross-referencing the seat post clamp slit and the headstock badge were found to be the best points to take off from. Strictly speaking the pump brackets on the lower tube were off-centre, but the margin is small enough to let it go.

The forks were a bit of a pain. The legs are not quite symetrical but also the boxing is so faint as to be almost non-existent just where measurement points are needed - and they are slightly different on each leg too. It's to be expected seeing as they were laid up by hand I guess. Drawings should start appearing from tomorrow.

Something I discovered while looking at the chains case is the black paint sits on top of a coat of what I would describe as Royal Blue. I've always used grey but I'll follow their lead in this case to help match the colour finish better.

OP
OP
ian c

ian c

After a bit of a delay - don't ask - here's some more drawings.

YDOFG5Y.jpg

qwUQa9f.jpg

mhODc3z.jpg

rWqpD4z.jpg

nN9bKlH.jpg

AHmhjVe.jpg

There is one drawing missing. When I can remember what on earth I have done with it I'll post it up.

Top Bottom