A New Zealander on holiday in UK and Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neilg

Hi I'm Neil. Recent convert but keen road cyclist. Train regularly with goal of taking part in fun rides - stamina events ranging from 75km to 160km.
I'm on a 4 week holiday to Europe in Sept October and want to keep up my fitness during that time - but not upset my wife who wants to do the usual tourist sightseeing things.
I'm in Rome for 4 days so wanted to get a couple of sessions at gym where they would have spin bikes etc. We will be staying in a hotel in the toursit area of Rome. Does anyone know hwere how I would google to find a gym or similar to pay a dialy rate to attend a couple of times.
Then on to Porto in Portugal. Any recommendation re where to hire a raod bike and a route with not too much traffic for a 70 -100 km loop ride?
Then on to Lisbon. Any recommendation re where to hire a raod bike and a route with not too much traffic for a 70 -100 km loop ride? Or a gym in Lisbon.
Then on to Sarlat in Dordogne France. Any recommendation re where to hire a road bike and a route with not too much traffic for a 70 -100 km loop ride?
Then later heading to Cornwall England. Any recommendation re where to hire a road bike and a route with not too much traffic for a 70 -100 km loop ride?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then later heading to Cornwall England. Any recommendation re where to hire a road bike and a route with not too much traffic for a 70 -100 km loop ride?
Hi Neil. Welcome to CC!

It sounds like you should have a lot of fun on your holiday.

It would probably help if you said where in Cornwall you will be based.

One thing you might not know is that Cornwall has lots of very steep little hills so unless you are a super-strong climber I'd make sure you hire a bike with suitable low gears.

When I was in Cornwall, I'd be riding along some quiet lane and the road would suddenly plunge down a 20-25% hill to some tiny cove, and then there would be a 20-25% climb back up again. Very lovely, but very tiring too if you are over-geared.

I was in the Penzance area (near Land's End), I'll look up up a route I did there.

(I'll add details here later.)

fimm

Veteran
Hi Neil,

Welcome to the forum.
I spent a few days in Lisbon earlier this year. I'm afraid I can't help with road bike hire, but I do remember thet there were places (or at least one place) that hired out what you might call town bikes. We weren't looking for anything like that, so they can't have been too difficult to find.

OP
OP
N

Neilg

Thanks guys for the friendly welcome and advice. Sounds like my idea of doing training rides in various spots is somewhat ambitious - finding a bike hire shop with a suitable road bike, right frame size and someone who can speak Anglais - and then staying in one piece on unfamilair terrain and not getting lost - may mean a heap of frustration and very little quality in the training.
Might be better to search out gyms or fitness centres where I can sweat it out on a wind trainer or spin bike.
PS - if you or your mates evr make it down this end of the world to New Zealand I'd be happy to repciprocate with some tips re rides and routes. Good news is just about everywhere is a cyclists paradise. Temperate weather all year round, litle traffic by European standards, variety of terrains, and plenty of safe, interesting rides local cyclits can recommend.

Top Bottom