A novel approach to commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Oh why oh why can't we all just get along and live a wonderously harmonious sort of self sustaining, non threatening, egalitarian and pastoral life where we are all completely validated and valued and beer costs 50p a pint and ciggarettes are good for you and packed with vitamins.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
If that isn't a rant, I don't know what is!
Dont forget, this is a cycling forum, where members share their experiences. It is also a great place for people who have just started cycling/commuting to learn how to do it. So please, could everyone ignore the OP and continue to post/moan/discuss commuter cycling to aid other newbies and refresh the experienced cyclist. I have learnt a lot from this so called 'CycleCrap' site as I am sure others have too.
+1

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I never give a cyclist as much room as I do when passing a car. I give them at least 6 times more room. :huh: (cyclists that is :rolleyes:)

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Splendid and well done.

Now how do we make compulsory road cycling a mandatory part of driver training?

i haven't got a clue but Cyclopathic has touched on riding as being a small part of the test might be useful. Maybe more emphasis on cycling awareness in the test itself as i dont ever see the day coming when cycling will be part of a driving test (which it would have to be to ensure any training had taken place)..long time since i did my test....... so i dont know the contents of tests now......but i guess the theory could include a more cyclist aware section.....perhaps driving instructors should have to pass on awareness.....i really dont know enough of the current test procedures/content so i'm really guessing here.............or am i being totally niave that the government would deem it neccessary in the first place?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Splendid and well done.

Now how do we make compulsory road cycling a mandatory part of driver training?
The opposite should also be compulsory - driver training for cyclists. How many bad cyclists have had interaction with another bad cyclist while driving ? If the cyclists I came across while driving around London last month knew how close they had come to ending up under my wheels perhaps they would take more care and observations out there. But some never learn as mikey's Vauxhall youtube clip shows.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fMTAQyXTI

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you think that cycle experience makes for better drivers, then I suggest you think on London's cabbies, many of whom spent a lot of time on a PTW doing the knowledge. Do you think that made them more empathic?

Bicycle

If you think that cycle experience makes for better drivers, then I suggest you think on London's cabbies, many of whom spent a lot of time on a PTW doing the knowledge. Do you think that made them more empathic?

As a former motorcycle courier, I shared the road with C90-mounted knowledge boys for some years. London cabbies do not have the best reputation, but I'm not sure BM's example works as an effective dismissal of the principle.

I'm pretty sure that experience dealing with the differing dynamic characteristics (speed, size, handling, visibility, braking performance and similar) of several different vehicle types does improve one's ability to make some of the judgements necessary in today's traffic.

My daughter (who learned to drive last year after a childhood as a keen cyclist) was surprised how much she gained in terms of cycling from steering a car around our lanes and local towns.

Similarly, I feel my decidecly modest skills behind wheel or handlebar are less crap than they might be through years of experience with lorries, motorcycles, bicycles, cars and tractors.

Just as I know many drivers who don't 'get' bicycles because they are strangers to them, so I know one or two cyclists who fail to grasp the movement and speed of cars because they have only ever been a passenger in one. That's not a criticism and I'm sure it's not universal.

But I think there is much to be gained from having a modicum of experience or qualification in piloting a range of vehicles through our streets.

OP
OP
mr_hippo

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Many people of my generation took the same route as I did - bicycle, motorbike and then car. We have a baisc understanding of them. We could say beofre getting a driving licence you have to gain experience on bikes and motorbikes. This is not feasible; some people cannot ride a bike and what about disabled people?
Someone earlier mentioned stress - if you are stressed on a bike by small incidents, why not transfer the stress from your head to your legs?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I see both sides of the discussion here especially the aspect that gives aggrieved cyclists the chance to talk with like minded people.

However I have to say many of the attitudes displayed by commuting cyclists, on here, I find a touch aggressive and self-righteous. I don't really understand the helmet-cam culture, it seems very odd, slightly worrying really, to me but obviously each to his/her own. I commute 30-40 miles, round trip, covering busy urban roads and quiet, unlit country roads. TBH my only issue is being passed to close. I combat this by placing myself on the road in a position which prevents it happening most of the time. If I was to video my commutes it would be some of the most tedious viewing imaginable.

I'm sure I'm wrong but I've gained the impression much of the cam-culture exists in major urban areas, especially London. My wife and I visited the capital in November for thee days, glorious weather perhaps meaning more cyclists than usual? While I'm sure it's a small percentage the standard of cycling I observed was appalling. If London cyclists ride in the fashion I saw I'm not at all surprised there seems to be real antagonism between drivers and riders.

The other observation I'd make is I've noticed cam users who persue the offending driver and then challenge his/her actions. There may be times when this is appropriate but quite a few I've watched were unnecessary and I gained the impression the cyclist saw himself as on some sort if "mission." I've read many posts supporting these actions but to my mind they are counter-productive and more likely to give a poor general impression of cyclists. Aside from that I would think there is a serious risk of inviting road rage.

Personally I find the simplest approach is to get on with riding. Where I do try to educate people is by engaging them in conversation about motorists attitude to cyclists and the need to grant us room, time and respect.

GrasB

Veteran
I don't really understand the helmet-cam culture, it seems very odd, slightly worrying really, to me but obviously each to his/her own. I commute 30-40 miles, round trip, covering busy urban roads and quiet, unlit country roads. TBH my only issue is being passed to close. I combat this by placing myself on the road in a position which prevents it happening most of the time. If I was to video my commutes it would be some of the most tedious viewing imaginable.
I find it distubing that I feel the need to ride with cameras recording but I've had enough close calls that I feel I want an impartial document of anything that does happen. The material shot has proved useful but is used very sparingly; out of the 700 odd hours of video I've recorded on my bikes the police have been given 1h 45m ish of material (2 incidents; a short section of where my bike was run over & an entire commute to show exactly what did, or in that case didn't, happen on my commute from work after an interesting incident). The video is evidence or at least information from which further investigation can be pursued where I've felt an incident has needed to be reported to the police. Besides that I have another 15 hours or so of material which I keep for my personal reference & reflection such as Alpine descents, a couple of beautiful fenland mornings etc. They are the video equivalent of holiday snaps. None of the video taken has been posted on youtube & out of 6 people I know of only one who publishes video publicly.

Jezston

Über Member
PaulSB - there are some cam users like that, but they are a tiny minority, and usually get called out by other cyclists when they act like that. Taypet, that guy who screams abuse at other cyclists for having their lights too bright, and that other guy who's name I forgot who screams at everyone. Basically, 3.

What was the problem you found with London cyclists specifically?

Top Bottom