England : London A November Night Ride, anyone? CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER FORECAST

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Some good points all, thank you. I've just edited the OP to make it absolutely, positively, definitely clear that this is not an official Fridays ride. I thought, however, that there might be interest in a night ride, to a different destination than the official rides. Terms and conditions may apply, errors and omissions excepted, and please do not ask for credit…:smile:

My take on the inclusiveness thing is this. I'd agree that the club rides should stay catering for everybody. Some rides are harder than others, no two ways about it, even in good weather, let alone when it's wet and windy. Those veterans of the November 2009 Brighton run, or the one the following March, or Wetstable, will know exactly what I mean! I don't think there's an easy answer to that, else we'd end up cutting back the number of destinations massively, not looking at new ideas, and still end up upsetting people, because what's left is too challenging/awkward/easy/hard to get back from, and 'why are we going there AGAIN?'.....

On the other hand, we- by which I mean club members rather than the club per se- can still offer something for the lunatic fringe (says card-carrying member of said fringe). More miles, more climbing, different destinations, same ethos. Looking out for each other, waymarking, the works…just rather smaller. Like my IOW night runs, in other words. Not an official ride, never will be…but might be of interest to those who want to stretch themselves a bit further from time to time. If, like my IOW ride, they got a bit of a plug in the newsletters with the caveat that they weren't official rides, these are tougher…that would be very helpful.

I've just edited the OP to make it absolutely, positively, definitely clear that this is not an official Fridays ride.
Then could you please also remove the opening line about there being a gap in the FNR calendar, which sets up the whole context for your ride proposal. Thanks!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
After shaming my ancestors by bailing from this weekend's Pompey run, I'm still up for this if it's going ahead.

I'll be on the backup bike with a 39-25 low gear (insurance still being negotiated on the Vader bike replacement) so should be a little less chipper up the hills than usual.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Sorry to say that Real Life has stepped in and I can't make this.
Unlike.

Shameless bump. Early weather forecast looking OK.....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yes it is. Weather forecast looking good. Start time will be eleven, not midnight.
I was wondering if this was still on. I think it'll be a case of if I'm there I'm there, as I might be nursing a vicious hangover. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Just to check, start time 11pm at Hyde Park Corner? Do you have a guest list?

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

I was wondering if this was still on. I think it'll be a case of if I'm there I'm there, as I might be nursing a vicious hangover. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Just to check, start time 11pm at Hyde Park Corner? Do you have a guest list?
Not HPC, the new improved FNRttC start point- National Theatre.
Guest list is extremely compact and bijou. Might be you and me!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not HPC, the new improved FNRttC start point- National Theatre.
Guest list is extremely compact and bijou. Might be you and me!
South bank? How very sophisticated. I've not done a Smoke-Pompey run before so would like to make this happen, but it'll have to be a judgement Friday morning. Sorry!

Top Bottom