A problem with my headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
II have a ridged mountain bike and I have a problem with the headset on it

It shakes from side to side when I am cycling and I have to keep both hands on the handle bars to steer it straight

What is the cause of this I guess that it has got something to do with the bearings in it

Sharky

Guru
Sounds like a loose headset. What type? Modern ahead system or the older quill type?
A photo if not sure.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Loose headset, and or bearings have perished. You'll need headset tools for the quill stems - big spanners.

I have checked and it is not a loose headset so it must be the bearing are the problem . what size bearings do I need or are all bearings the same size ?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Headset bearings vary - some are caged bearings (or even just loose ball bearings)of different sizes both in diameter and ball bearing size - some are cartridge bearings whoich again have different diameters, heights and angles. Until you take it apart and have a look you won't know and you need to ensure you replace like with like - unless fitting a whole new headset (that may required if it is badly corroded and from what you said it sounds awful!). This link explains it all : https://www.bikeradar.com/features/the-ultimate-guide-to-headsets/

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom