A Quarter-Life Crisis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You're going to go to university at 25?

I would put the writing on the back burner, make it a kind of paid hobby, and submerse yourself in a real job. Train for a vocational job with a very definite career path if necessary, but it doesn't sound like 4 years of university is what you need.

Stop floating, start grafting.
I did my degree in my 30s and really enjoyed it. It also stopped me constantly fretting about what I was going to do in the big bad world. If you can afford it and want to do it, go for it. Even better if you can keep your hand in doing freelance work.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Thanks for the replies all. I'm taking it all in and doing lots of thinking.

I miss my bikes! (When we moved, we weren't able to take them with us - our car doesn't have the proper fittings to be able to fit a bike rack to it). Currently waiting on Dad's friend to drop them off sometime soon (hopefully). When they get here, I'm off out for a long ride to clear my head and do some thinking.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Sorry if my advice sounded a bit harsh.

I work in education and am happy to say the 'leave school, go to uni' route is now not being touted as the only route available to school leavers, as in a lot of cases it's 4 years of study, a mountain of debt, then a struggle at the other end.

If I was leaving again I'd probably go to college and train to be an electrician or something.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Sorry if my advice sounded a bit harsh.

I work in education and am happy to say the 'leave school, go to uni' route is now not being touted as the only route available to school leavers, as in a lot of cases it's 4 years of study, a mountain of debt, then a struggle at the other end.

If I was leaving again I'd probably go to college and train to be an electrician or something.

Not at all. And I feel that way too - at least in the linearly direction that we're all supposed to follow after graduation from school. I've no doubt that I could do well in University and so that's an option I'm considering, however, my concern is probably the same as most Uni students - the lack of a job on the other end. I've a mate whose got a History degree (a rather useless degree unless you wanted to teach (which you'd then need a Bachelor's of Education for), or become a historian - which, as I understand it, you'd need a Master's degree to do.

He works in farming now. But has said that if he didn't have a steady job, he'd go crazy. Granted that not many of my friends have chosen degrees that are all-but useless unless you've got something else to back it up, but he's one example of a few that I can think of. At least with a Poli. Sci/IR degree, I wouldn't necessarily be left out in the cold, job-wise. There are opportunities abound with such a degree - I guess (on top of everything else) I'm just worried that I'll graduate without a clue as to where I want to go with that degree.

Overthinking things is something I do regularly.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Overthinking things is something I do regularly.

Well that's a big decision (although I'd emphasize probably not as big as someone at your age is led to believe it is) so the human brain kicking in like that ruminating has benefits of doing so, however it's interesting you say you overthink things.

I sympathise with the history label, I hung around with a lot of people that thought this.

I think people worry about causality too much in the student job market. I think where people end up living afterwards is vastly underestimated compared to other factors.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
To clarify, I'm not trying to put down anyone with a History degree, fair play to you - far beyond the knowledge of history that I've got. It was just the best example I could think of, of a degree in which you'd need something else (further education) in order to pursue something in that field.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My 20's are a long way back now - 30-40 years depending on which end of the twenties spectrum being referred to.

It's one of those decades where you want to be doing fun stuff all the time but also one that you need to be laying down the bedrock of your future. It can be daunting, confusing and possibly a bit quarter-life crisis like.

Many of us have been there. For me it was a decade where I really had to knuckle down and get stuck into a career as I didn't have a 'silver spoon' start to life (quite the opposite really) and there was never going to be any big inheritance coming my way.

So...with heavy heart I said goodbye to my oh so casual teenage approach to life and got stuck in. Maybe that is what you are finding difficult? The loss of freedom, committing to the long haul etc?

Depends what you want out of life really. Some people get through being a surfer-dude until they get to shuffle off. Most tend to build careers and lifestyles. You have a choice to make! I'd suggest not waiting too long as you can soon fall behind in the career stakes (if that's the direction you want to go in).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Career? Do generation Ys even have even careers as in the plural any more, let alone the singular?

If it's any consolation I've felt lost for most of my life, hah! What a world it is. I don't envy you what you're going through. I wouldn't want to be twenty now, too much focus on planning for this and saving for that, making good choices, acting responsibly. People tend to get by whatever they do, how comfortably they get by is another story, but it depends what you need to make you happy.

I don't think you have to decide everything at once, how do you know what you'll want to do in ten years time, twenty years time? Take your time, think about it for a while, get your bikes, get any bike and get out and ride for a while. Don't put yourself under too much pressure trying to decide everything all at once.

Whatever you decide do it for yourself and not because it's what you think other people think you should do. Things fall into place, opportunities come along unexpectedly, new thoughts, new ideas. It's okay to feel lost at times, lots of people feel lost at different times in their lives.

Everyone is different; needs/thoughts/dreams/whatever. Others may be going through worse things but that doesn't make your problems any less.

Life is hard, I think, or it can be. But what's the alternative??:eek:

I hope you find what you're looking for.

:bicycle:

Top Bottom