A question for non-helmet wearers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get well soon.
The likelihood of a large timber framed structure landing on my head whilst cycling is vanishingly small so that's a no from me.
You’d be surprised how common it is to get clattered by large branches coming off from trees, especially at this time of the year.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You’d be surprised how common it is to get clattered by large branches coming off from trees, especially at this time of the year.
Go on, then - how common? And how many hit moving targets?

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I once got hit by a conker - that hurt!
If it's windy enough to be bringing down branches then I'm in the car.

This happened round the corner from me a few years ago. Its like the tree waited for a Saab to come along to truly test its reported safety features, and to be fair to Saab looks pretty unharmed. I was impressed by the guys in the Unimog who arrived and had the tree cut into logs and gone in under 2 hours.
windyout.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Go on, then - how common? And how many hit moving targets?

Twice on one ride is my record, though the seriously large one only brushed me.
But the only time I dust my ancient helmet off is when I go to the track (cos it's compulsory).

Denis99

Über Member
Off road it’s a must for me.

I have had the occasional brush with trees and bushes that have overgrown.

Had a serious off which actually fracturered the polystyrene on the inside of the the helmet.

For road riding, I am not so convinced of its safety value, especially as I now ride a recumbent trike.

icowden

Veteran
I started wearing one after a very simple accident. Was cycling with a carried bag full of uwanted christmas chocolate for work. Bag got caught in my front spokes. Tipped me over the handlebars. Landed with by head back and caught most of the impact on my arms, but there was enough inertia for me to smack my nose into the road. Fractured it.

Have worn a helmet ever since.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I started wearing one after a very simple accident. Was cycling with a carried bag full of uwanted christmas chocolate for work. Bag got caught in my front spokes. Tipped me over the handlebars. Landed with by head back and caught most of the impact on my arms, but there was enough inertia for me to smack my nose into the road. Fractured it.

Have worn a helmet ever since.
Full face, so it protects the nose?

I feel that a more obvious counter-measure would be not to carry bags loose near the front wheel and to fit luggage racks or at least use a backpack.

classic33

Leg End Member
Full face, so it protects the nose?

I feel that a more obvious counter-measure would be not to carry bags loose near the front wheel and to fit luggage racks or at least use a backpack.
No guarantee that a full face helmet will fully protect the face from any impact. Too many variables.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I really believe we all make our own choices and I will not critisise anyone for wearing what is considered to be safety gear.

I have never been anti helmet and would wear one if I remembered to pick it up on the way out of the house. If I forgot it I would not go back for it.

Last year I was on the way out and remembered it for the firt time in weeks. On the way home I had a big off and realised the big deep scrapes and broken peak on my helmet would have been my head and face. As it was, I ended up having an operation on my hand and staying in hospital for 4 days.

I never leave home without a helmet now and I wonder how many riders have got to have an experience like mine before they realise that riding with a helmet is not a bad idea after all.

Top Bottom