A question..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How about this @DCBassman , not 531 but only 5mins from you and just fifty quid!
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/raleigh-routier-roadtouring-bike-52-frame/1313192159

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DCBassman sounds like a shopping list and a good one .

These 2 are currently sat awaiting work in the garage , to give you an idea .

IMG_20180916_123004051.jpg
IMG_20180918_171957088.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
what I'm after is a decent light touring frame, as opposed to a twitchy pure road bike. This might even have a triple already.
Whatever transmission, downtube shifters are on the agenda. Touring heritage would probably also give it the ability to carry mudguards. So, a 531 touring frame, capable of taking 700c wheels and relatively modern transmission, ie 48-38-28 up front, and something fairly wide at the back, 7 or 8 -speed.

I recently took a chance on one of these rather nice late 1980's Dawes in 23 1/2" size, as it showed up locally at the right money.
Dawes Jaguar 23.jpg

Mine isn't as tidy as that one, and it's just been pulled to bits to clean it up. More sporty than a pure tourer (73 degree geometry), but other vintage Forum members assure me it still won't be twitchy. Tyre clearance really limited to 28mm on the back, the front will take 32. It's got the all-important Reynolds 531 and feels light for a steel bike. Catalogue blurb says it will take mudguards for winter riding. No reason you couldn't fit a 28-38-48 triple on the front and a 14-28T 6 speed on the back. That would give exactly the same gearing I have on both my Raleigh hybrids, bottom gear of 27 inches and top gear of 93 inches. I never use the 27 inch gear, it's just silly low - might as well walk up.

Top Bottom