A questionnaire on the development of cycling tourism in Greece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I've completed it as I normally do but I would be interested in knowing what my level of education has to do with cycling in Greece?

OP
OP
E

Elina

I've completed it as I normally do but I would be interested in knowing what my level of education has to do with cycling in Greece?
You have a point! I chose to have a question for the level of education than one for the income (which I always find very annoying especially when it is obligatory to answer it). The reason for it is to collect data for someone’s profile. The answers are of course anonymous. Thank you so much for your participation and the comments.

OP
OP
E

Elina

As above.

I'd like to spend early spring to early summer cycling around the Cyclades and island hopping on the Hellenic ferries. Camping or B&B would be my preference.
This is the best time for cycling in Greece. You can carry your bike to any ferry ( with the exception of small size dolphin type ferries) no charge.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Survey completed.

I may have more than one reason for cycling, maybe a tour, maybe mountain trails, maybe bring own bike, maybe not. I think the level of education can be used to understand who is or is not visiting Greece for cycling. But so is age, are you looking to promote to younger and older people and why? How many miles or hours a day someone might want to cycle would possibly also be of interest. For me, though I cycle long distance, in a hot climate like Greece I would like shorter days with nice lunch stops during heat of day. Island hopping appeals. Mix of road and easy gravel do also. I'd class off road separate to that.

classic33

Leg End Member

OP
OP
E

Elina

Survey completed.

I may have more than one reason for cycling, maybe a tour, maybe mountain trails, maybe bring own bike, maybe not. I think the level of education can be used to understand who is or is not visiting Greece for cycling. But so is age, are you looking to promote to younger and older people and why? How many miles or hours a day someone might want to cycle would possibly also be of interest. For me, though I cycle long distance, in a hot climate like Greece I would like shorter days with nice lunch stops during heat of day. Island hopping appeals. Mix of road and easy gravel do also. I'd class off road separate to that.
Thank you so much f
There's also no questions on how people might seek information on cycling Greece. If you promote in the wrong places you may not find the cyclists you are hoping to promote to.
Thank you very much for your comments and participation!

alicat

Legendary Member
I completed it. It's probably the best survey I have seen here; however I would have preferred a 'prefer not to say' option for the personal information questions.

The one thing that puts me off cycling in Greece is the lack of bike shops and that didn't really come out in your main question about what people look for when they think about doing a bike tour in Greece. If I hit a problem I would probably have to abandon my trip so I will continue to do other activities in Greece instead.

Good luck with your thesis.

OP
OP
E

Elina

I completed it. It's probably the best survey I have seen here; however I would have preferred a 'prefer not to say' option for the personal information questions.

The one thing that puts me off cycling in Greece is the lack of bike shops and that didn't really come out in your main question about what people look for when they think about doing a bike tour in Greece. If I hit a problem I would probably have to abandon my trip so I will continue to do other activities in Greece instead.

Good luck with your thesis.
Thank you very much for the participation. As far as the bike stores are concerned you’re right. The good thing though is that the last years the popularity of cycling in Greece is increasing and a numerous of bike stores are opening. Without doubt, anyone who travels on bike needs support !

alicat

Legendary Member
Thank you very much for the participation. As far as the bike stores are concerned you’re right. The good thing though is that the last years the popularity of cycling in Greece is increasing and a numerous of bike stores are opening. Without doubt, anyone who travels on bike needs support !

Thank you in turn for helping to promote cycle touring in Greece. If there were a number to call to get help when stuck in a remote part of Greece, I would definitely go for it.

Thank you in turn for helping to promote cycle touring in Greece. If there were a number to call to get help when stuck in a remote part of Greece, I would definitely go for it.
That's a very interesting point!
I've never thought in that way. I've never come across a service like that with the exception of bike insurance in the same way as the AA or whoever does cars.
The Dutch ANWB (AA) does that with, I think, cross border services too, but I'm fairly sure that is country specific.
Along the Vennbahn which goes through Germany, NL & Belgium, there is an emergency contact number for (health) emergencies on distance signs on some sections (the beauty of international routes), but I've never seen such numbers on other routes in Europe.

A phone number to call in the event of disaster wouldn't have any influence on my decision to tour there. A lack of bike shops or services would just prompt a bit of extra preparation is all.

@Elina , I completed your survey. As said above it was well put together - so many of these are poorly thought out. Good choice on not including an income question. I'll happily provide educational level, but would drop out at an income question.

Perhaps you could throw up a list of online resources that do currently exist for touring in Greece?
It's been on my bucketlist since I was a kid, but it strikes me as the kind of place that first I would want to cycle to, then immerse myself in, hence it's got to be part of a big tour.

I was going to recommend the velodyssey website in France as a great example of information delivery for people with different needs. However, on opening it, they have "renewed" it and it is nowhere as good as it was.
https://www.cycling-lavelodyssee.com/cycle-route

Top Bottom