A quick jaunt up to t'North Pennines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Aye, that's both the beauty and the trouble
Trouble?

D

Deleted member 23692

From a local economy viewpoint they they need the tourist pound, but it staggering the amount of folk that still go to the vastly over packed and, to some degree, overrated Lake District and spend their hard earned cash there.

If just 5% who come the M6 and turned right instead of left at Penrith, it'd help no end

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
From a local economy viewpoint they they need the tourist pound, but it staggering the amount of folk that still go to the vastly over packed and, to some degree, overrated Lake District and spend their hard earned cash there.

If just 5% who come the M6 and turned right instead of left at Penrith, it'd help no end
Ok, yeah, totally understood. I agree with your implication that the Lakes is overrated. It's just too busy for my liking and tends to be visited, to some extent, by folks lacking imagination. We are off up shortly though for Chrissie & Kim to do the Cumbrian Way, while Hamish & I bash off some hilly road miles.
For what it's worth, I do my bit extolling the virtues of the North Pennines.
Cheers.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Lakes is lovely but the landscape is completely manufactured, over the last century we have turned it into a theme park by over-protecting it.

D

Deleted member 23692

Ok, yeah, totally understood. I agree with your implication that the Lakes is overrated. It's just too busy for my liking and tends to be visited, to some extent, by folks lacking imagination. We are off up shortly though for Chrissie & Kim to do the Cumbrian Way, while Hamish & I bash off some hilly road miles.
For what it's worth, I do my bit extolling the virtues of the North Pennines.
Cheers.

These might be of use then to you then - http://www.golakes.co.uk/adventure-capital/cycle-guides-download.aspx

D

Deleted member 23692

Glad to be of help :smile: You might should be able to link a few together and make some longer rides (if needs be)

I've just noticed they've butchered the first few leaflets from the extracts of the original leaflets into some crap web page with poor maps. Grab'em while they are still of some use!

D

Deleted member 23692

I had to go to the AONB offices in Stanhope today, via Hallbankgate, Alston and Nenthead.

On a beautiful spring morning (like today) it's one of the most beautiful areas in the country, but on the way back in the viscous wind and driving rain it's one of the most inhospitable. But in either case I got a timely reminder of why I moved to Cumbria :smile:

galaxy

Veteran
We used to cycle from Sunderland to Edmundbyers, over to Stanhope, if we were ambitious over to Barny and home, otherwise, down the Dales to Wolsingham and home, some of my best ever cycling times back in the early 80`s

Top Bottom