A rare breed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pyeeater

On my daily commute through Wigan i only ever see the same two commuters.

In my two years of commuting i have never experienced any abuse from any other road users, no bad over taking , no cutting up or anything like what i read about happening to people on the forums.

Maybe its because cycle commuters are such a rare sight on the borough roads that people treat us with more respect.

Maybe the people on the roads in Wigan are morer chilled out and dont have to rush around like the big city dwellers :ohmy:

I dont know, but it does add up to a 'pleasant' commute. Anyone else experience this ?

bryce

A breath of fresh air..! I commute 10 miles each way in London daily and enjoy it and rarely get mown down by anyone. Sometimes from reading this forum, riding a bike seems to be comparable in danger terms to wrestling with an alligator.

'Always expect the idiot' - a single rule for how to have a stress-free commute (also applies to self in cases of falling over, turning over wet manhole covers, white lines etc).

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
bryce said:
A breath of fresh air..! I commute 10 miles each way in London daily and enjoy it and rarely get mown down by anyone. Sometimes from reading this forum, riding a bike seems to be comparable in danger terms to wrestling with an alligator.

'Always expect the idiot' - a single rule for how to have a stress-free commute (also applies to self in cases of falling over, turning over wet manhole covers, white lines etc).

I haven't experienced too much agro so far...but i do notice how "stuff" that was never an issue when i was in a car suddenly seems so much more serious.

Sometimes my "lack of incidents" makes me feel a little...well...uninitiated.

long may that last I say.

PS...dont tell anyone, but i do wonder if a lot of it is a reflection on our own attitudes when on the raods...if you know what i mean....ahem;)

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
jonny jeez said:
I haven't experienced too much agro so far...but i do notice how "stuff" that was never an issue when i was in a car suddenly seems so much more serious.

I think there's a lot of truth in that JJ. I noticed yesterday a minibus passing me at was i thought was an unsafe distance. When i looked at the driver though he was watching me in his nearside mirror all of the time until he was safely past. I think we need to sometimes give drivers more credit than we do.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think any of us have very many incidents. Even looking on youtube, most are relatively minor.

hambones

I'm with the OP - 8 mile commute into London for me without a single incident since I started out in May 08. Long may it continue...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My commuting incidents are definitely getting less these days.

maybe because most of the traffic i encounter at 6 am are people going to my workplace and they know im that guy from work , maybe because i have learned to read the road and cycle more assertively and defensively as the traffic requires.

On the way home i face a incline with 3 pinch points cause by bollards in the road , today every single car hung back till i had passed it and i waved to every 1 .The same with the single track road they tend to hand back till i can let them pass ( again this is up a hill ).

Do not get me wrong i still get the odd numpty overtaking to close but sure beats lorry drivers jumping out trying to have a punch up:tongue:

D

Deleted member 1258

I leave for work about 6:20 most mornings and there aren't many people about, its nearly always just a routine ride in. I leave work for home about 4pm and the evening rush hasn't got going, its a bit more lively than the mornings, but mostly a routine ride home.

Top Bottom