A re heating question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had visitors yesterday so made minced beef chilli. I made it on Monday and put it in the fridge.
So... yesterday I reheated it. After the meal there was a full portion left (I made a lot) .
So......it was made fresh, chilled, then reheated.
My decision was, can I safely freeze and reheat a 2nd time?
Google has such varied ideas on it that I decided to be safe and bin it.

What is your opinion ??

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
SWMBO, who's a Catering Dietitian (along with also doing stroke/neurology/mental health/older people) says "no". Re-heating is once only.

markemark

Über Member
My understanding is the rules have changed. You can reheat and freeze often. The time out of the freezer should be noted. You should always properly heat to piping hot and put in fridge promptly as it’s the warm stages that present the most risk.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You shouldn't freeze, thaw heat cool and then refreeze.
But you can cool, chill & reheat, multiple time, especially beef or lamb, just make sure it simmers right through properly - stir well.

No wonder there is so much food waste with people binning stuff left right and centre.

markemark

Über Member
People like rules and not-heating is a good solid easy rule to remember and was the advice for decades.

People sticking to that yet leaving food to cool for a couple of hours on the side before fridging it are more at risk but that's harder to quantify and follow.

The danger zones are heating and cooling, that's when bacteria spreads. Doing it properly three times is less dangerous than doing it badly once.

Ex Housemate would make a giant pan of Chilli or something similar, then leave it on the hob all week and re-heating it when they wanted a meal. I've no idea how they didn't die.

I don't reheat more than once, though I have put stuff back in the freezer partially defrosted if I change my mind. I've always been told as long as you heat it properly it'll kill any bacteria.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd say no. If you re-heated all of it it's been through another heat/cool cycle. Not to mention the possible transfer of bacteria when you've had it out (i.e. from particles in the air and/or a fork being in your mouth and then touching the food again). You can go against the rules but in my experience it's not worth it for a portion of chilli

Baldy

Über Member
Google has such varied ideas on it that I decided to be safe and bin it.

What is your opinion ??

Shame on you for waisting food. I wouldn't re-freeze it but put it in the fridge and finish in the next day.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Food poisoning is not usually fatal.

No Its not but it can be and people can be left in a very bad way from it, like needing 24 hour care for life that people generally don't know about.
I once went on a course about food poisoning and it was a total eye opener. Bad cases where people have been left paralysed etc don't make the news etc because the company responsible give massive pay-outs.
I know a couple of people who have ended up in hospital from it and been very ill.
People tend to think its just a bit of sickness and the runs, but certain types can attack and paralyse the central nervous system.

Top Bottom