A re heating question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Look @Emanresu and @Kingfisher101 I'm not trying to be dismissive of the potential seriousness of food poisoning. You're taking my post out of context, which was a response to:
The problem with anecdata like this is that there is no one to say "I reheated chill loads of times, but once I got food poisoning and died"
I was merely saying that the majority of folks who get it do in fact survive so there is anecdata from both sides.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It can be serious but usually isn't. That being said, it's immensely unpleasant and well worth avoiding. I had salmonella once and was bed ridden for 10 days and passing green slime. Headaches and nausea as well. Though I didn't catch it from food, I err on the side of caution when it comes to reheating stuff. And I only freeze stuff once

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It can be serious but usually isn't. That being said, it's immensely unpleasant and well worth avoiding. I had salmonella once and was bed ridden for 10 days and passing green slime. Headaches and nausea as well. Though I didn't catch it from food, I err on the side of caution when it comes to reheating stuff. And I only freeze stuff once

probably caught from all the discarded food waste in your bin :okay:

tom73

Guru
Look @Emanresu and @Kingfisher101 I'm not trying to be dismissive of the potential seriousness of food poisoning. You're taking my post out of context, which was a response to:

I was merely saying that the majority of folks who get it do in fact survive so there is anecdata from both sides.

In this case the OP is older than most and has medical history which puts him at higher risk than most. So he’s best not trying to take a chance.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
probably caught from all the discarded food waste in your bin :okay:

And also just to add, we discard next to nothing when it comes to fresh food. If we make too much, it's put straight in the fridge and finished off the next day (usually by me). I then only heat up what I'm going to eat, so the extra just sits safely in the fridge until eaten.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
And also just to add, we discard next to nothing when it comes to fresh food. If we make too much, it's put straight in the fridge and finished off the next day (usually by me). I then only heat up what I'm going to eat, so the extra just sits safely in the fridge until eaten.

Same here. Roasts, chilli, curry, tagine, takeaways... They all get thrown in the fridge for another day.

Takeaways are often squeezed to a 3rd or 4th meal.
Lunch was a burger the children didn't east last night. Tomorrow's lunch will be sarnies from Sunday's leg of lamb leftovers.

Alex321

Veteran

Yes. Ours will often sit in the fridge for a few days before it is all eaten, but like you we only ever reheat what we are about to eat.

icowden

Veteran
My decision was, can I safely freeze and reheat a 2nd time?
Yes, depending on how you chilled it.

Many people cling on to the myth that you can't put hot food in a fridge or freezer, leave it "on the side" for half an hour, forget about it then put it in the fridge a couple of hours later. The longer that the food is "cooling down" the more opportunity there is for any bacteria to multiply in a favourable heat and humidity. This is generally where the problem arises. You can mitigate the bacteria issue by making sure the food is *very* hot - i.e. all of it is above 75 degrees for several minutes.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
No wonder there is so much food waste with people binning stuff left right and centre.
Partly caused by folk's blind / uninformed faith in 'best before' and 'use by' dates on food products.
Beats me why dates have now been put on canned goods. Never happened 'when I were lad' - ! :laugh:

Emanresu

Beats me why dates have now been put on canned good

Napoleon offered 12,000 francs to improve upon the prevailing food preservation methods of the time. Not surprisingly, the purpose was to better feed his army "when an invaded country was not able or inclined to sell or provide food". Fifteen years later, confectioner Nicolas François Appert claimed the prize. He devised a method involving heating, boiling and sealing food in airtight glass jars — the same basic technology still used to can foods..

Wonder if that is more about the integrity of the packaging rather than the quality of the food. Get a pinprick in the air seal and the stuff goes off.

As a side issue I use a slow cooker for home-made soup and can heat / reheat it over a period of days. So far so good.

Top Bottom