A ride down memory lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Please forgive my sentimentality, but over the christmas period I have been reunited with my much loved Peugeot. I built the bike from a secondhand but never built frame in 1989. It was my first bike built with new components having never been able to afford such luxury before. I rode miles on this bike upgrading and changing things along the way. Then I got married. Ex wife didn't like or approve of cycling and its financial indulgence so I sold the bike to my brother for a bargain price. Anyhow to cut a long story short, (too late I hear you cry) I now have the bike back and today I refitted the original brake and gear levers and went for a test ride. I had forgotten just how nice it rode and for the first time in 20 years used downtube shifters again such joy. Scan_20180101 (2).jpg DSCF0074.JPG

Slick

Guru
My brother had the clubman, similar story to your own and is always going on about how he would love to get it back, so your not alone with the sentimentality.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Please forgive my sentimentality, but over the christmas period I have been reunited with my much loved Peugeot. I built the bike from a secondhand but never built frame in 1989. It was my first bike built with new components having never been able to afford such luxury before. I rode miles on this bike upgrading and changing things along the way. Then I got married. Ex wife didn't like or approve of cycling and its financial indulgence so I sold the bike to my brother for a bargain price. Anyhow to cut a long story short, (too late I hear you cry) I now have the bike back and today I refitted the original brake and gear levers and went for a test ride. I had forgotten just how nice it rode and for the first time in 20 years used downtube shifters again such joy. View attachment 389662 View attachment 389663
Bikes are better value than wives :whistle:

johnnyb47

Guru
What a fantastic story to read and well done you.
I to have a Peugeot dating back from the early 80s. It was my first proper racer as they where called back then.
As you say they ride lovely and I have done many long miles on mine last year without any major problems. My resurgence back into cycling was also rekindled after a marriage break up ,and it's been a breath of fresh air to be able to feel the freedom of following what ever my old bike takes me and feeling nostalgic about it all.
Some members have very expensive bikes and use and enjoy them to there limits whilst mine is worth nothing , but I still enjoy my cycling as much as the next guy
That what makes cycling so great. It offers so much to us all and can be enjoyed on whatever budget we can afford.
Is yours bike a steel carbolite framed bike like mine?
They certainly seem to be a very comfortable ride and long lasting frame.
All the very best.

johnnyb47

Guru
Well said that Man. It's not the destination but the journey.
There's something very nostalgic riding an old bike from you misspent youth. I often get a lot of strangers coming over and asking about my bike. I feel proud to explain its history and my connection with it :-) :-)

johnnyb47

Guru
@Lancsman there is nothing nicer than doing a ride on a bike that talks to you as you ride along try getting a modern material to talk as you ride

@woodbutcher you are right
Absolutely right biggs682.
My Peugeot is hibernating at the moment parked up against the Kitchen radiator and I'm using my Aluminium Boardman for my winter rides. The Peugeot feels like I'm tune with it when I ride it. There's no pressure points, or harsh buzz off the roads when I use it. It almost feels like a I'm wearing a comfortable pair of shoes that have been made specifically for me and I'm in complete tune to it. The Boardman on the other hand just feels like a mass produced machine which just does what it says on the tin. You peddle harder and you go faster. You hit the brakes and it stops.
It's hard to explain ,but they really do feel world's apart even though the Boardman is a more expensive and technological bike.It's just a characterless bike with no endearing qualities to it.
It makes a good bike ride into a dull ride for me. The old pug though is kept away from the onset of the winter's grime and salt which is what I want. :-)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@johnnyb47 glad you agree , i even enjoy riding an old steel bike through the winter more so when it's caked in road grime as it all comes off and it adds to he bikes character when people see it

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
You’ve got no excuse now, this one looks very tidy and original : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-...259035?hash=item33dc79255b:g:f9EAAOSwi0xaJBwQ

That is one gorgeous bike :bravo:. I just mentioned it to the wife. She just gave me the look :dry:. It’s not like I could get it and hide it somewhere either. Bugger :cry:.

I don’t know it it is my admittedly dodgy memory, but I seem to remember my old Equipe being all dark blue. I like the paint job on the one above though. Even the bottle cage matches. Sigh.

wonderdog

I came back to cycling in the mid 70s when a fellow I shared a house with in Melbourne let me use his top of the line chrome framed Carlton ... those lovely Capella lugs, full Campag kit etc etc.He organised me a great deal on a Peugeot PX10 LE and, as others have observed here, they are a lovely ride. Being a) impecunious and b) working only part time, it was my only form of transport other than trains and buses, with the result I put a lot of miles up on it and it never lost that crisp feel. And, of course, I never should have sold it. One doesn't see too many of them for sale now.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Here is my 525 Comp - bought new early 1990s. Original except for saddle, brake levers, bar tape, chain rings (I still have the BioPace rings) and cassette. Rarely ridden nowadays, but I do enjoy using the down tube levers and clips and straps for a change!

525 comp.JPG

Top Bottom