A Roads, opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In response to the OP, its perfectly legal to cycle on A roads but there are some you wouldn't want to, they are akin to motorways but there are others that are quieter than B roads, it where local knowledge comes to the fore. There are a few exceptions where bikes are banned by bylaws (it'll be signed) but you wouldn't want to cycle on those roads anyway. I tend to mostly use A roads to connect up quieter lanes and B roads it makes for a much more enjoyable cycle.

peelywally

theres A roads and theres a roads ,

some are ok but others are like m ways the rest are used as racetracks stick to the a roads and avoid the A roads

the risk just isnt worth it imo and nothing worse than cycling on edge were your watching 2ft from from tyre in case of a pothole or mudgaurd off a loorry is in front of you as a transit goes past with inches to spare at 70mph .

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was on A road's yesterday on the way to a family get together ... in the car. We were on the A46 and I have to say I have never noticed the driving to be so bad before yesterday. We were occasionally stuck behind slow moving traffic (most often horse boxes), and each time there were lots of impatient people who had to go for overtaking 4 cars and the slow moving object with on-coming traffic rather than waiting for a safer place to pass.

I have cycled on A roads but they vary in character.

Top Bottom