a sad day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
not really...
don't think it's likely to reach the end of the auction really people are biting my hand off. Everyone wants it because everyone who's anyone in the biking community knows they'll own not just any van but bonj's van ;):biggrin:

:blush:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gambatte said:
In the estate for me. But how about a towball instead of towbar one?

er... yeah, i thought they all clamp onto the tow ball ? All the thule ones do apart from one apparently.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

A lot of them bolt in between the towball and the towbar.

gambatte said:
Ta MrP, That was the distinction I meant.

ah yes i see what you mean. But it's not the two-bolt type of towbar, it's a removable swan-neck type one.
I don't know for definite that thule ones fit onto that, but i know this one definitely does 'cos it says so, i'm strongly tempted to get one of those.

Night Train

Maker of Things
That looks a nice bike rack there.

I got the one that has a bracket that clamps on with the tow hitch. I should have had the swan neck but I had a conventional hitch fitted instead as I wanted a ball and pin set up.
I like the fact that it is also a very quick rack to fit, no straps to mess with. But I like the one you're looking at as it allows the tailgate to open without unloading.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

cannondale boy said:
£50 i would of gave you a £5! All those repairs it would of been easier scrapping the thing.

well i sold it for a lot more than that... my only mistake with it really was spending money on keeping it mecahnically sound while i thought it was going to last me ages. To be honest it really isn't worth spending any money on servicing old bangers. Unless it's a really good condition classic or potential classic, then as long as it works and has got mot just run it into the ground. 'Disposable motoring' - main value in it is it's got full MOT so you know it'll last at least that long (unless it dies suddenly of some previously undetectable fault).

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Night Train said:
That looks a nice bike rack there.

I got the one that has a bracket that clamps on with the tow hitch. I should have had the swan neck but I had a conventional hitch fitted instead as I wanted a ball and pin set up.
I like the fact that it is also a very quick rack to fit, no straps to mess with. But I like the one you're looking at as it allows the tailgate to open without unloading.

i've ordered it, as it has got good reviews and looks really ace.
Apparently it is unique in that it slides back rather than tilts, which means the towbar clamp itself doesn't need to tilt on the towbar (although the latest thule ones have a separate tilting mechanism so they don't need to either).
But it looks better than the thule as the straps which hold the frame go right round the frame and back in and aren't just plastic but metal core coated in plastic, and it is the lightest and most compact one.

Night Train

Maker of Things
This is mine. It is simple and useful for things other then bikes. The main stem also makes a good equipment roller, a large safe last time. I am working on it being an extension to the roof rack for long stuff and also the front end of a pole trailer for very long stuff.

Top Bottom