A safe cheap bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

expectingrain

Hello,

I would ideally like to get a good bike and in principle willing to pay the money, but where I live such a bike is almost guaranteed to get stolen. Second-hand market where I am is also pretty poor - been keeping an eye out for several weeks and mostly junk available. So I'm trying to get the cheapest, yet functional, durable and safe bike that I can, but aware of the hazards of going cheap. This is why I seek advice as I my ability to judge bike quality from specs is limited.

I've narrowed it down to three, linked below, two from Carrera and one from Muddyfox (?!). They each have good customer reviews and I would be inclined to go for the cheapest Carrera at 150 GBP. It would be good to know if I would be making a big mistake in getting one of these, or if anybody knew of something better out there for a similar price range. Any help much appreciated:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-axle-limited-edition-mens-hybrid-bike

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-axle-mens-hybrid-bike

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muddyfox-T...651127&sr=8-1&keywords=muddyfox+mens+tempo200

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
At that price point both Carrera's are pretty much the same - and are fine for a starter bike.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
I would go for a second hand Boardman Comp Hybrid for around £120 on eBay - they are very common and can be found relatively local if you are prepared to drive for a bit to pick one up. Chances are you'll find one in very reasonable condition.

In terms of safety it just needs to be able to stop. A quick once over to make sure all bolts are at the correct torque - what else could go wrong?

Regardless of its second hand cost, a couple of gold rated locks are still advisable if you are leaving it unattended. So about £100 on locks, no matter what bike you have.

Perhaps you should start with
What do you need the bike for?
What kind of risk are you happy to take with regard to getting it stolen?
I am sure you do not like your bike to be stolen everyday. So what kind of bike security did you think about?
For example, on extreme example, I may consider taking a front wheel or seat with me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ask the seller for proof of purchase, and ownership if buying used, if as you say, you live in a bike theft hotspot

Anyone who gets shifty and narky when you ask, walk away

If you want to buy new from halfords, British cycling gets you 10% off. They do offers on insurance too with membership, or home contents insurance is often the most economical way to insure a bike (read the Ts&Cs)

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I'd also advise having a look on ebay/gumtree and similar to see if you could pick up a good condition used bike, other than that I haven't heard anything terrible about the Carrera brand itself but I've heard varying reports on the service you get from Halfords. I guess it depends on what store you go to but I'd probably just make a point of making sure everything is ok with the bike when you pick it up and then again if you take it in for their six week service thingy.

GOAB

Brandane

Legendary Member
If I faced the same high risk of having a bike stolen, I think I would go down the road of buying a reasonably good bike - and then disguising it with a coat of Hammerite green paint or similar. I am assuming here that most stolen bikes are taken with the intention of selling them on. One with a coat of ugly paint on it wouldn't be worth much on the used bike market. Unfortunately the same would apply if YOU ever wanted to sell it on; but if you are intending to keep it long term it wouldn't matter much.
Are you anywhere near a branch of Decathlon? They have some good bikes at sensible prices.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Careers Axle is a reasonable bike, just don't expect it to perform like a five hundred quid one. Its quite heavy at nearly 14kg. Steer clear of the Muddy Fox. Buying on Amazon means its farly likely not to be set up correctly when you get it. At least with Halfords you get someone to moan to if you have a problem.

Don't forget a decent lock. Good luck.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd go for a Carrera over a Muddy Fox every time and those Axles look decent bikes at the money. That said, if you can find something second hand you will get a better bike for that money.

If there is a serious concern over the bike being stolen, you need to look at what security you're putting in place.
Look for at least a Sold Secure Silver, or preferably Sold Secure Gold, lock- something like this is good value at the moment although no lock offers 100% protection, you just need to make your bike more difficult to steal than any others nearby: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.OnGuard-Pitbull-Shackle-U-Lock-Plus-Cable-Gold-Sold-Secure_61144.htm

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Calling the Carrera an Axle is a brave move given it has a seven speed freewheel and they are known to snap, er, axles.

Still, you won't get better for under £200.

Top Bottom