A scary one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
So I'm mega late for getting to my Mum's for Mother's Day after a bit of a scary one on the road. Going at about 13-15mph (guesstimate), I heard the dreaded *tinkle tinkle*, looked down and saw my QR skewer on the front wheel flailing and half out of the wheel. Obviously I immediately stopped, couldn't find the black hub that had come off on the other end of the skewer.

I don't know whether to feel stupid at having not checked the tightness of the skewer before I set off, or whether this shouldn't really be happening? I've had the bike for about 6 weeks, bought from Halfords. It's due for a free 6 week service but I think I'll take it to my LBS just incase...

First I've ever come across of a skewer coming loose!
Unless you feel comfortable checking the bike over or using the tutorials online, then your lbs is prob your best bet.
There again is it worth wasting the fee service at Helfrauds?

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Yeah I sort of feel the same with regards to the free service but I don't have much faith having read this forum for a while! My LBS is pretty good, though I could do without being charged £xx only after 6 weeks!

Fubar

Guru
Wow, scary one - just as well you noticed! Good point of note though to check these, hadn't thought about that being a "newbie" to road bikes.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Wow, scary one - just as well you noticed! Good point of note though to check these, hadn't thought about that being a "newbie" to road bikes.

Yeah do it - I was happily riding over speed bumps until this happened, could have had a nasty off if the skewer had flown off!

Think it might be a good idea to just get rid of the skewers...never liked QR!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah do it - I was happily riding over speed bumps until this happened, could have had a nasty off if the skewer had flown off!

Think it might be a good idea to just get rid of the skewers...never liked QR!

QR lever's are fine and safe when used and tightened correctly.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
QR lever's are fine and safe when used and tightened correctly.

Sure of course, but I don't really like how easy it is for them to be removed for would-be thieves. Always thought there's a magpie effect to them!

I agree caimg - a very nasty off as well as serious damage to the steed!
Prob result would be that the wheel would skew (no pun) and immediately twisted into - and probably busted - the forks as well as buckle the wheel, while catapulting you straight over the bars!
I think I'll start to check mine daily!

col

Legendary Member
Just remember to lock them to the bike or frame when leaving in a public place, only reason Im not keen, otherwise I have them on my tourer, just I dont leave it alone.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
I agree caimg - a very nasty off as well as serious damage to the steed!
Prob result would be that the wheel would skew (no pun) and immediately twisted into - and probably busted - the forks as well as buckle the wheel, while catapulting you straight over the bars!
I think I'll start to check mine daily!

Yeah the thought of suddenly landing on the forks and then going over the bars makes me shudder...good thing I was wearing a helmet otherwise I would have been dead for sure!

Top Bottom