1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A sensible cycle lane?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by jdapayne, 30 Apr 2008.

1. jdapayne

jdapayne New Member

Right, I've decided I should probably stop lurking and actually post something!

On Sunday I came off my bike when cycling through a bit of town I don't normally go through. Was going along when I saw what looked to be to be the most pointless cycle lane ever, taking me off the road and basically just through the pavement for a bit. Thought to myself: 'I'm not going on this stupid lane - I'm going to stay in the traffic where I belong!'.

Anyway, moments later, came off as I went over some tram lines. It turns out that this lane was actually a rather good idea!:

(I assume you can spot what it is! The picture's taken from after the bit where I came off, so to speak, lane on the right of the picture, road on the left).

2. Maz

Maz Guru

Take care, man. Those tramlines can be as slippery as hell.
    I've cycled over them in Sheffield many a time.

3. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Lane designed so you don't hit the tram lines at an angle. Good stuff. Shame to have to give way to rejoin the traffic, but better than coming off I guess.

4. buddha

buddha Veteran

Is that Wellesley Rd, West Croydon?
    I came a cropper on a Croydon tram line last month. As there was sand+rain on the tram line (and I was going too fast :evil:). Ripped a new jacket and the shoulder still hurts.

5. jdapayne

jdapayne New Member

Nah, it's Manchester, near Piccadilly station.

After I came off, someone who was on a bus that went past came back to see if I was OK, really made my day.

6. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Good job you weren't on a road bike - you'd be stuck in the tracks, and on your way to Bury !

7. rootes

rootes Senior Member

yep better to cross that a that angle.

8. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Sorry to hear of your crash, and glad you're OK. I would be wary of those even at the relatively steep angle of that cycle lane!

9. Riding in Circles

Riding in Circles Veteran

I have no problems with tram lines. ;)

10. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

11. Tharg2007

Tharg2007 Well-Known Member

i would have thought the scallies on the bus would have pointed and laughed.

was it here

12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

I've always thought trams were a stupid idea. Or rather a good idea that became stupid after the invention of the bus!