A sensible cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdapayne

Right, I've decided I should probably stop lurking and actually post something!

On Sunday I came off my bike when cycling through a bit of town I don't normally go through. Was going along when I saw what looked to be to be the most pointless cycle lane ever, taking me off the road and basically just through the pavement for a bit. Thought to myself: 'I'm not going on this stupid lane - I'm going to stay in the traffic where I belong!'.

Anyway, moments later, came off as I went over some tram lines. It turns out that this lane was actually a rather good idea!:

(I assume you can spot what it is! The picture's taken from after the bit where I came off, so to speak, lane on the right of the picture, road on the left).

Maz

Guru
Take care, man. Those tramlines can be as slippery as hell.
I've cycled over them in Sheffield many a time.

Brock

Lane designed so you don't hit the tram lines at an angle. Good stuff. Shame to have to give way to rejoin the traffic, but better than coming off I guess.

buddha

Veteran
Is that Wellesley Rd, West Croydon?
I came a cropper on a Croydon tram line last month. As there was sand+rain on the tram line (and I was going too fast :evil:). Ripped a new jacket and the shoulder still hurts.

OP
OP
jdapayne

jdapayne

buddha said:
Is that Wellesley Rd, West Croydon?
I came a cropper on a Croydon tram line last month. As there was sand+rain on the tram line (and I was going too fast ;)). Ripped a new jacket and the shoulder still hurts.

Nah, it's Manchester, near Piccadilly station.

After I came off, someone who was on a bus that went past came back to see if I was OK, really made my day.

rootes

Brock said:
Lane designed so you don't hit the tram lines at an angle. Good stuff. Shame to have to give way to rejoin the traffic, but better than coming off I guess.

yep better to cross that a that angle.

BentMikey said:
Sorry to hear of your crash, and glad you're OK. I would be wary of those even at the relatively steep angle of that cycle lane!

I have no problems with tram lines. ;)

Top Bottom