A (slightly) different use for video cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CotterPin

Most of the video footage posted on CC tend to be about specific examples of poor driving which can then be taken up with the individual driver or their employee.

In ICAG, the Islington branch of the LCC, we are trying something different.

We were asked to present evidence to the council on barriers to cycling in the borough. Our original plan was to get the councillors out on bikes to see for themselves but most of them balked at that idea (but we still hope to persuade them!). So we made a video instead and here is the result.

Some of the content was taken from earlier roadside filming but the bulk of it was taken from a small handlebar mounted camera. Anyway, I thought I would share with you - especially those that know Islington - and I will report back the council's responses once they are know.

snorri

Legendary Member
It will be interesting to hear how the video goes down with the councillors.:laugh:
There's a bit of hedge trimming required on the left of the cycle route in the 'permeability' segment.:becool:

wafflycat

Undoubtedly some poor driving and some crappy cycle farcilities. Mind you some of the effects of bad driving may well have been mitigated considerably if the cyclists weren't cycling in the gutter: far too close to the kerb.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Great piece. I liked how restrained it was about the white van :biggrin: (or similar traffic that does worse). We have similar one way issues in Sheffield that create serious problems and that video is a good way of showing it.

I had a bus driver yesterday accuse me of not looking before pulling out to overtake (this is something I really don't think I did (the pulling out, never mind the overtaking)) - presumably in retaliation he cut in front of me to stop at a bus stop. This is in a bus lane on a busy road with lots and lots of sunken drains and other large potholes. Therefore I cycle pretty far right in the bus lane away from all this mess.... So cycling in the gutter is not the solution, but neither is cycling further out, as that just seems to encourage people to drive even worse.

Back on topic, good video. Why won't the councillors come out with you? (well, why is because they don't want to, but what excuses are they giving?).

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A good idea. I did find the video painfully slow, though, with the text screens seemingly aimed at incredibly slow readers. I'd also lose the exec summary at the front, as it doesn't work well in video format.

OP
OP
CotterPin

CotterPin

SavageHoutkop said:

Back on topic, good video. Why won't the councillors come out with you? (well, why is because they don't want to, but what excuses are they giving?).

A lot of them don't actually cycle. I was talking to one of them the other evening and he used to cycle regularly but was doored and now his wife won't let him! Like other people they tend to think cycling is more risky than it actually is.

I must admit I was a tad annoyed when they first declined our offer of a bike ride. After all, these are the people who are implementing policy that puts in place some of the farcilities highlighted. How can they hope to get it right if they don't experience cycling in their patch for themselves?

However I am hopeful that we will persuade some of the councillors out on the road. Some of ICAG's members have recently become cycle instructors so we are hoping to be able to offer them cycle instruction as well, if they need it.

OP
OP
CotterPin

CotterPin

wafflycat said:
Undoubtedly some poor driving and some crappy cycle farcilities. Mind you some of the effects of bad driving may well have been mitigated considerably if the cyclists weren't cycling in the gutter: far too close to the kerb.

We noted that especially in the night time scenes up Hornsey Rise. As the cameraman I was also riding too close to the kerb as well to get the worst case scenarios! I was doing it consciously, aware of the risks, and keeping a good look out all the time. The cyclists on Hornsey Rise were probably less aware that they were putting themselves at greater risk.

Having said that, that's quite a steep climb especially for a newbie cyclist and it takes a massive amount of nerve to ride out and face down the driver revving his engine right behind who has just cleared the jams earlier and thought he was going to get a clear run. And of course, many of them are just focussing their effort on getting to the top of the hill.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I kept waiting for the crash, bang, wallop denouement...(I'm mired in cycle-cam YouTube collisions)

I'd be interested to hear if the video is a useful campaigning tool. I think it could be a bit tighter, but I it paints a pretty good picture of various barriers to cycling. That said, I imagine if you shot more film you could put forward a more compelling case...(you have seen Angles Morts?)

Keep us updated.

Top Bottom