A spooky coincidence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Reading Chuffy's thread about mutton, Saudi Arabia was mentioned and it got me thinking about those days I spent there and one particular incident sprang to mind.
Some of us work there for a few years, leave for a while and then go back. Some people contract an incurable form of 'desert sickness' and stay out there for donkey's years, I have known quite a few who have worked out the for 30+ years. One such sufferer was an American chappie, Howard R., I first heard of him when I worked for RSAF in Taif at the weapons range where he was the range supervisor until a few months before I arrived.
We had a lone camel on the range that we adopted (or he adopted us) and I was told that his name was Howard. I thought that was a strange name for a camel and the story of how Howard was named was revealed. A few days before Howard went on leave, he and his deputy, Dick T, were talking and Howard said "When I die, I'd like to come back as a camel!"
About three days after Howard flew home, this camel appeared and would not leave. They later found out that on the very day that the camel arrived, Howard (the real one) had suffered a fatal heart attack. Now that is spooky!
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

abchandler

When I was growing up, there was a two year period when my brother was away at University while I was still at school. There was a local sparrow that seemed to know when he was returning for the holidays. In the week before his return, this sparrow would land on the windowsill and tap at the glass. Never happened at any other time, just leading up to the Uni breaks

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Spooky events - yes lots.

The most major some years ago. I was standing by a window, at 4.45pm, knowing I could just wait for the copier to finish then I was going home. This window overlooked a junction. A man walked along the pavement, and I thought "oh he has got a hat on just like my father wears, and he is carrying a briefcase, similar to my father's". The man then tried to cross the road, and I remember thinking, when a car passed very close to him, "he's very lucky he did not get run over". Finished my work, went home.

Oh dear, a Police car outside the house. Policeman inside the house with my mother, waiting for me to arrive home. My father had been in an accident leaving work, about 20 miles away at 4.45pm. He had been knocked down while starting to cross the road outside where he worked.
He survived but only just, having re-designed the bonnet of the car with his head. He was wearing his hat, and carrying the briefcase.

The most logical explanation of this was given to me some time later, that in fact there was no one walking along the pavement near where I was working, but somehow the trauma of the event was communicated to me over that distance.

There are several more spooky occasions when I have "heard" the voices of dead people. I do not think it is appropriate to recount them all. I am sure that other people must have had similar experiences.

vbc

About 14 years ago I had 'phoned my sister for a chat regarding marital breakdown (mine) and was in the middle of a quite important bit when I accidentally cut myself off in mid sentence. Feeling a bit of a fool, I pressed last number redial wanting to carry on where I'd been cut off.

The 'phone rang for a while and I was a bit flumaxed to hear my Mum on the other end - different houses, area codes etc. I was a bit short with my Mum and said that I'd rung the wrung number but that I'd get back to her the next day.

I finished the call with my sister, deciding that my ex-wife was a total **** and said goodnight. The next day, my sister called back to tell me that my Mum had had another stroke and had been hospitalized. She died later that year without ever being able to talk to me properly again.

I know that are loads of rational explanations for what happened but I've never been able to forgive myself for being so short with my Mum when we had our last chance of talking properly.

buggi

Bird Saviour
not personal, but i watched a programme about guardian angels. they interviewed about 8 passengers off a jumbo jet. one woman said that the flight attendant passed her, and she said "excuse me?", the flight attendant said "yes?", the woman said, "what did you say". flight attendant said "i didn't?". woman said "did you not tell me to put my seatbelt on?" flight attendant said no and carried on her duties. woman was spooked and said to her friend, "i just heard someone clearly say put your seat belt on" and she put her seatbelt on coz she was so spooked. 1 minute later there was a failure on the door, it blew off and loads of people got sucked out. 8 people near the door weren't sucked out because they had heard a voice telling them to put their seatbelts on.

now that's spooky.

on a more funny note, i phoned my mum once and was chatting to her on the phone for about 10 mins. then i said "anyway, gotta go but what i phoned for was to ask you if the sandwiches in the fridge are for me or dad?" my mum said, what the hell are you talking about? turned out i was talking to a complete stranger!!! for 10 mins!!!! i swear she sounded just like my mum, and she told me she was completely shocked, i sounded just like her daughter. we must have had so much in common we didn't even realise we were strangers.

I had a super vivid dream which made me utterly convinced that I had experienced an earthquake, I had fallen out of the bed and couldn't get up because the ground was shaking so much, very scary. There were car alarms going off, dogs barking and explosions visible through the bedroom curtains. The thing that really got me though was the feeling, totally unique of the ground moving, it woke me up, 4:34 am. Anyway, next morning I asked my workmates about the earthquake but they said they hadn't felt it. One of them checked the paper for seismic activity. Nothing. I came to the uncomfortable conclusion that I had dreamt it.

Precisely one week later, to the minute the LA earthquake hit, the one which toppled the freeway, the Bill Clinton one, 1993? (ish). Dogs barking, car alarms and the explosions turned out to be lecky sub-stations going pop. But the strange thing was the feeling. I knew it because I had dreamed it. Very very freaky. My workmates looked at me differently after that.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Last night I dreamed that I was in bed with Mrs cisamcgu, and there was a thunderstorm, and suddenly (still in the dream) we were jerking and screaming as we were electrocuted (presumably by a lightening strike). I woke up immediately, trembling and my heart thudding in my chest !

[Hope that wasn't a premonition! *gulp* ]

Andrew

Arch

Married to Night Train
vbc said:
I know that are loads of rational explanations for what happened but I've never been able to forgive myself for being so short with my Mum when we had our last chance of talking properly.

Oh christ, I know how you feel.... If I could offer one word of advice to the world, it would be always end a conversation on a high, because you never know when it might be the last one you have.

Another occasion for me though, was when my Dad died. I was off work and going into town for the afternoon to do Christmas shopping and meet my sister from college. He and I had a row in the morning, a common occurance I'm afraid, he was an alcoholic, but just as I left the house he made a joke remark, and I laughed. By the time I got home later with my sister, he'd died of a heartattack. She said his last words to her when she left in the morning had been a joke, and my Mum's last words on the phone had been happy ones. We all sort of took comfort from that.

Speicjer, I heard a talk a couple of weeks ago about cave art and the guy was talking about hyperimages - semi-hallucinations sometimes brought on by hunger, stress, fatigue or bereavement - which seemed to me like a very rational explanation for people seeing 'ghosts' of loved ones. The tricky question is how you knew you were about to be so stressed...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have had a few experiences like Buggi mentions in her first paragraph, where I have "heard" people say something. Crossing a road once on a zebra crossing, it was as if someone shouted "stop" at me, so I did. I remember everything seemed to go very slowly, and then suddenly a car came extremely fast, and overtook a car that had stopped. If I had not stopped when I did, I would have been killed I am sure.

Also at Culloden, the battle field in Scotland, I was wondering why I felt as if I was surrounded by very tall people. At the time, I just thought I was over-tired and seeing things. Later on, someone explained that the level of the land had dropped over the centuries since the battle, which explained why people seemed so tall.

cisamcgu said:
Last night I dreamed that I was in bed with Mrs cisamcgu, and there was a thunderstorm, and suddenly (still in the dream) we were jerking and screaming as we were electrocuted (presumably by a lightening strike). I woke up immediately, trembling and my heart thudding in my chest !

[Hope that wasn't a premonition! *gulp* ]

Andrew
Turn off the blanket tonight...

abchandler

Another childhood memory has come to mind. I dreamt that I was flying over a runway, and there were planes on the ground. There were huge explosions both on the tarmac and within the planes. Some days later the news of the bombing of Port Stanley airport during the Falklands war was announced, coinciding with the night of my dream.

yenrod

Oh yes definately - totally spooky that man !

NOT

mr_hippo said:
Reading Chuffy's thread about mutton, Saudi Arabia was mentioned and it got me thinking about those days I spent there and one particular incident sprang to mind.
Some of us work there for a few years, leave for a while and then go back. Some people contract an incurable form of 'desert sickness' and stay out there for donkey's years, I have known quite a few who have worked out the for 30+ years. One such sufferer was an American chappie, Howard R., I first heard of him when I worked for RSAF in Taif at the weapons range where he was the range supervisor until a few months before I arrived.
We had a lone camel on the range that we adopted (or he adopted us) and I was told that his name was Howard. I thought that was a strange name for a camel and the story of how Howard was named was revealed. A few days before Howard went on leave, he and his deputy, Dick T, were talking and Howard said "When I die, I'd like to come back as a camel!"
About three days after Howard flew home, this camel appeared and would not leave. They later found out that on the very day that the camel arrived, Howard (the real one) had suffered a fatal heart attack. Now that is spooky!
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

yenrod

Ok, a non-cynical level !

Ive had a few experiences whereby Ive been 'close to the edit' and got away with it [phew] and have thought something is looking over me or such like...

Ive been told i could develop a '6 sense' to a massive degree but most of this subject scares the hell outta me soo..terrafirma is much more attractive !

But a good site for those whose minds are open is this one...

www.newagestore.com/angels/

Top Bottom