A Strathaven circular

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I would be cycling out from the city centre which is why i was wondering about the A77 cycle lane. Early in the morning it would be fine. Shawlands to city centre may not be so good later on the return journey though.
Actually, Shawlands (at di maggio's, haven't cycled any further out from there) to town is a piece of cake if you turn right into Victoria Road after Queen's park. I's a small street at the second pedestrian lights after the park. There's a Pizza Hut on the corner.
Go straight ahead into Victoria Road, turn left, follow the road ahead, it becomes a bus/cycle lane just after the bus depot, takes you right into town avoiding Pollokshaws road.

Seamab

Thanks Pat. That's good to know.

OP
OP
GBC

GBC

Veteran
Cheers for that GBC. Yes i was thinking of the minor road just south of Moscow before Loudon Castle. If you bear left at each junction from then on (excepting no through roads) you should end up in Eaglesham.
I would be cycling out from the city centre which is why i was wondering about the A77 cycle lane. Early in the morning it would be fine. Shawlands to city centre may not be so good later on the return journey though.

Hi Seamab,

I had a pop at this yesterday and yes it certainly makes for a good ride, although it's not much different from the original one that I'd planned in terms of effort - distance was more or less the same at 46 miles against 45, and there was a bit more climbing at 3500ft against 3100ft. The road surfaces are mostly good although there are quite a few rough patches as well, but traffic was almost non-existent; more horse riders than cars and very few of either. That was the big advantage of staying off the A71.

Unfortunately, and by good fortune, the road to the west of the junction at Whitelaw (NS64678 43242) is closed from today (5th November) until next February. I imagine that the detour will be by way of the A71 although none of the diversion signs were out when I passed yesterday, only the advanced warning signs for the closure. The road is only closed for about 1km but it means that the road north of Fore Hareshaw will be 'No through road' and that's probably the best bit of the route: gently undulating with Mossmulloch Forest on the right, and on the left, open moorland separated from the road by the energetic Calder Water.

It was quite raw up on the moor yesterday and I could probably have done with another layer on top and a hat of some sort under the cycle helmet but a good day all in all. The only real spoiler was that I got quite bad cramp in both legs just after the 30 mile mark and had to stop a couple of times to let it calm down, but that was down to me, not the run.:sad:

George.

Seamab

Hi GBC, glad to hear you had another good run on the route. It was a good but cold day. Alas domestic duties kept me off the bike at the weekend. Did you take some electrolytes?

I don't think i'll get round to this before next Spring when hopefully the road surfaces might be improved? Seems a long time to shut off a minor road for 1 Km. Chances are a bike could get through where a car can't.

How does the route compare to the recent CC Ecosse ride? Would it be a suitable future candidate? Any cake stops?

OP
OP
GBC

GBC

Veteran
Hi Seamab, Yes I always try to have electrolytes with me, usually a couple of Zero tablets in the water and a bottle of Powerade. It was quite cold and I felt that I was missing a layer or two, so I've put the cramp down to that.
It is a short distance of closure and it looked to be some sort of road widening or re-alignment, but yes, had I found it closed, I'd probably have walked over the fields if necessary. Further on, where the road skirts Whitelee Wind Farm, there are some indications that it might be expanding out that way, but I don't know if there's a connection.
The route could certainly be a future possibility for a CC Ecosse ride but you would have to bring a piece as there's nothing but farms between leaving the main road at Moscow and arriving in Eaglesham. Wouldn't be a great hardship in the summer and there are some quite idyllic spots beside the Calder Water.
In terms of effort, it's very similar to our last ride, and if I can do it, anyone can:thumbsup:

OP
OP
GBC

GBC

Veteran
Spoiled for choice if you stop in Strathaven - 3 cafes and the best bakery (Taylor alexanders ) round these parts with cakes to die for... And my sister-in-law is the landlady in one of the pubs if you fancy something stronger.

well done on the route GBC - must try it starting at strathven as its only 5 mins from my house.

Stu

Hi Stu,
Yes, it had crossed my mind that dropping down to Strathaven might be an option for a stop, and if we were to start from the Malletsheugh for example, the mileage would still be about the 40ish mark. Are there options for stopping in Darvel or Newmilns as an alternative?
I think some permutation could certainly a possibility for next year - I'll have a play about on MemoryMap and try and come up with something.

Seamab

Sounds like the basis for a future ride now that the cake is sorted! It might be best to have Eaglesham as the starting point as there are train stations at Busby or Thorntonhall nearby for anyone coming via public transport? I think the nearest station to Strathaven is Hamilton which is a fair wee bit away.

I think the nearest station to Strathaven is Hamilton which is a fair wee bit away.

Seamab the nearest is Larkhall which is just over 5 miles and a nice run over the quiet backroads ( via Glassford) to Strathaven.

I do agree it sounds like a good candidate for an Ecosse run. I am planning to ride this Saturday so might give it a go from Strathaven depending on how windy it is ( or maybe I just need to follow rule 5 :training: )

Stu

rualexander

Legendary Member
Hi Stu,
Yes, it had crossed my mind that dropping down to Strathaven might be an option for a stop, and if we were to start from the Malletsheugh for example, the mileage would still be about the 40ish mark. Are there options for stopping in Darvel or Newmilns as an alternative?
I think some permutation could certainly a possibility for next year - I'll have a play about on MemoryMap and try and come up with something.
There's a good cheap cafe in Newmilns called The Bobbin, easy to drop down into the village from the minor roads.

OP
OP
GBC

GBC

Veteran
There's a good cheap cafe in Newmilns called The Bobbin, easy to drop down into the village from the minor roads.

Thanks for that rualexander, and that's certainly an option. Dropping down to the village won't be a problem as you say, it will be the getting back up again that'll be the bugg3r:smile:

Top Bottom