A Sunday morning puzzle for you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
OK, it's Monday morning now, but to keep your minds ticking over ...

There is a 10 volume set of novels on the book shelf.
For simplicity, all volumes are of equal size.
Each volume has a hard back cover of 5mm thickness and the internal pages in each volume amount to 40mm.

There is a bookworm on page one of volume one and he wants to get to the last page in the last volume.
How far will he have to travel as he eats his way through the volumes?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
OK, it's Monday morning now, but to keep your minds ticking over ...

There is a 10 volume set of novels on the book shelf.
For simplicity, all volumes are of equal size.
Each volume has a hard back cover of 5mm thickness and the internal pages in each volume amount to 40mm.

There is a bookworm on page one of volume one and he wants to get to the last page in the last volume.
How far will he have to travel as he eats his way through the volumes?
640mm ??
I assume its not a straight forward math question and there will a catch but that is the answer I have using my head and no calculator.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
490mm

10 x 40mm internal volumes
8 x front & back covers of 5mm each = 80mm
1 back cover (vol 1) of 5mm + 1 x front cover (vol 10) of 5mm = 10mm

Sharky

Guru
490mm

10 x 40mm internal volumes
8 x front & back covers of 5mm each = 80mm
1 back cover (vol 1) of 5mm + 1 x front cover (vol 10) of 5mm = 10mm
Getting closer, but still too high.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just had a thought - if the books are arranged numerically 1 - 10 from left to right, the bookworm doesn't need to go through vol 1 to get to vol 2, just the front cover and similar with volume 10 as it only need to get through the back cover, so...

8 x internal volumes of 40mm = 320mm
8 x front & back covers of 5mm = 80mm
1 x front cover (vol 1) & 1 back cover (vol 10) = 10mm
Total 410mm

Sharky

Guru
Just had a thought - if the books are arranged numerically 1 - 10 from left to right, the bookworm doesn't need to go through vol 1 to get to vol 2, just the front cover and similar with volume 10 as it only need to get through the back cover, so...

Total 410mm
Correct - well thought out.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
No. How did you get to 640mm?
Oops 540mm.

Total 410mm
You have list me there (not difficult I admit) . If he starts inside the cover of volume 1 then surely he has to get through 40mm plus the cover in order to get to volume 2.
Where am I going wrong?

Sharky

Guru
Oops 540mm.

You have list me there (not difficult I admit) . If he starts inside the cover of volume 1 then surely he has to get through 40mm plus the cover in order to get to volume 2.
Where am I going wrong?
The volumes are left to right 1 to 10. So when on the shelf, the first page is on the right. So the worm only has to get through the front cover to get to volume 2. Simarlily the the last page of vol 10 will be the first page he comes to. :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Two boxers are in a match scheduled for 12 rounds. One of the boxers gets knocked out after only six rounds, yet no man throws a punch.

How is this possible?

Top Bottom