A tale of two or three cordylines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
When I move in 6+ years ago, I inherited a Cordyline australis, the big green cabbage palm, and planted a couple of the smaller purple ones.

The cabbage palm has generally produced as flower spike or two each year and has two stems.

This winter the two purple ones died off over winter and didn't come back in the spring and the big cabbage palm started spring looking quite fed up with the damp weather and was shedding leaves at quite a rate, so I was quite relieved when it produce a single flower spike earlier in the summer.

I have just notice this evening that pushing up through the lavender that grows around its base was a load of new leaves, looking closer one stem has 6 new leaf shoots growing out of it near the base and the other 2 lots near the base and another higher up

So it's gone from looking nearly dead to it most striking growth spurt ever!

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A bit of research and I reckon I can attempt to propagate new plants from some of the new shoots. The best method appears to be to fashion a old split pot around it and pack some soil in and then it grows its own root-ball ready to cut off and transplant.

Has anyone tried this and had success?

Top Bottom