A thumbs up for Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I needed a couple of bits for the Dolan, so I did a click and collect thing via Halfords; as I was going to Pagham I arranged collection in nearby Bognor.

I went there on Saturday... They couldn't find my pedals. They looked all over the place, for quite some time, before the store manager came up and found them in about 10 seconds.

The manager then said he'd give me 10% discount for being inconvenienced (I was waiting about 20 mins). After the application of British Cycling's 10% it meant I got the Shimano PD-M540s, a black alloy seat post and white Deda bar tape for the princely sum of just over £30.

I'm made up with that, frankly.

Drago

Legendary Member
Those M540s are nice, a cracking combination of weight, quality, performance and price.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So you won't be repeating those famous last words of King George V "Bugger Bognor".

IMG_0802.JPG

simon.r

Person
The staff in my local Halfords are great. I order bits via the click and collect service from time to time. They always call me when they're in and are very polite and helpful when I collect them.

A year or so ago I ordered some large tool cabinets and only realised when I went to collect them that they wouldn't fit in my car. One of the guys who worked there dropped them off for me, in his own car, on his way home.

Top service.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
So you won't be repeating those famous last words of King George V "Bugger Bognor".

View attachment 368032
I told my kids that little story on the way back from the Bognor Picturedrome (we took them to see The Emoji Movie, which was rubbish, but I didn't mind too much for £3.50 each).

I then had the tricky conundrum of explaining the word "bugger" in that context.

simon.r

Person
That may well come in handy for my mate, ta for the heads up.

£13.50 with BC discount: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...shimano-bb-un55-bottom-bracket-british-thread

(Although only limited sizes).

Tim Hall

I recently went to my local Halfords in search of tracknuts, F & R, for my fixer. Can't see them on the shelf, so ask the helpful woman behind the counter. Yes, she says, they're out the back. They've got Rear ones but not Front. Fine, I'll take them.

She reappears with Front, not Rear, as she'd misremembered. Still fine. Her colleague does the scanny stuff at the till, whilst I'm ready to show them the web price on my phone (£2.99) in case of discrepancy. And there was discrepancy, as they show up as one penny a packet. Somewhat puzzled, I ask why. They'd bought a load in to fix peoples bikes who had assembled them themselves, and done a poor job, but had too many, so they're obsolete and marked at 1p per packet. Ooh goody. Except I only have a tenner. No, it's OK she says, there's a 2p piece sitting on the till, they'll use that. So I end up paying nothing, although theoretically I have received 1p change according to my receipt. I compliment them on their business model, but suggest perhaps it's not sustainable.

Top Bottom