A tip for language learners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I’ve always found that on many holidays in France, if you try and converse in French, the person you’re trying to communicate with will listen, and help if you make a mistake, we have been to some areas that are so far from beaten track that you have to speak French, or go without, the Gers region, or Alsace spring to mind, Alsace was very baffling as most people are fluent in French and German, and speak French with some German words mixed in, but after having 2 weeks picking up and constant practice of French we had stopped at a service area to get some petrol, and get a coffee and a bite to eat, the place was rammed with British people, non of whom attempted to ask for their food & drinks in French, the bloke behind the counter was ready for me to do the same, as I’d asked Mrs DRM what she wanted in English, but asked him for Un cafe noir, un cafe au lait, deux sandwich avec jambon et tomate, et deux mille feuilles s’il vous plait, we got served with a smile and a merci monsieur, so he at least was pleasantly surprised, but being immersed in a community where you have to speak the local language really, really brings you on

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sometimes you'll speak to someone that is afraid of you. Not often but occasionally.

They're not afraid as in scared, but they are too aware of you being foreign. Sometimes you can see it in their eyes but not always. The rabbit in the headlights kind of wide eyed stare. They don't know what to say to you, they'll go silent for fear of you not understanding them. They've become so aware of the possibility of miscommunication, the possibility that you've said something wrong that they'll doubt their own natural ability to understand. The situation freaks them out.

This might give you the impression that you've said something wrong, or incomprehensible (and obviously sometimes that is the case!) but it's not always. They are just too aware of your foreignness, their brains freeze and they become overly focused on the words.

Most of understanding is not in the words. The majority of it comes from other factors, context being perhaps the biggest. When people go into this state of brain freeze, they're shutting out those other factors they'd naturally use in understanding (even in the same language) So panic not and don't doubt yourself. And, no, don't just repeat yourself louder!

I've even had one overly dramatic experience where the young shop assistant who, when I asked my simple intro question, literally exclaimed 'ah, anglais!' and ran off in search of a colleague! The exchange then progressed quite happily.

The best people to talk to, and happily most people fall into this category, talk as they normally would - albeit a little more slowly. One of my club mates in the cycling club would happily chat to me as we rode along, quite normally, for ages whilst others would steadfastly stay away from me. I didn't take it personally, they were just didn't know what to say.

Knowing how to say please can you repeat that more slowly, is a key phrase to learn imo.
And somehow, somehow getting over that awful English embarrassment of getting it wrong..

Friends of friends asked visiting friends from Germany what they thought of their recently decorated living room. Unfortunately they told them.

I've had a German lady living on the farm with me for over a year now .

I've learnt from her to be a little bit more direct.
-Turns out you can actually state a preference, about a thing, in words of one syllable, and the world doesn't end . .

But sadly I've not improved my German much.

In return she has learnt some rather non standard English .
Plus some constructions that may have other people wondering what she's talking about.

Not because it's 'wrong' more that the phrasing is a bit archaic maybe.

A question for speakers and thinkers of more than one language:

Do you think very slightly different thoughts in each language? In other words does the language and associated culture change your thoughts?

I know it does with me.

I think it does for me in France, if I spend enough time there to get my language usage back up to speed, and start thinking in French again.

But perhaps it's just because I have a more limited French vocab, than English, so neglect to think too deeply, when there.

But it is holiday time right ??

I'm always wanting to speak better Spanish, although I'm a bit lazy at daily practice.

I found bike touring there really helpful, as you can have lots of fairly basic conversations, with generally friendly people, and keep repeating the same phrases, over and over.

Mainly about food, and bicycles ..

That glorious international ice breaker, everyone wants food, and likes cyclists right.?

Lots of smiling and gratitude helps too..

I was really pleased when staying in Galicia with a (English) friend, we went to visit her (Spanish) farming neighbours.

We conversed quite a lot about chickens, and cows, and eventually I got commended for my 'chatting' skills.

I was really happy, about that..

Oh, how I miss abroadland travel,
maybe next year ??

Top Bottom