A tip for language learners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Sometimes you'll speak to someone that is afraid of you. Not often but occasionally.

They're not afraid as in scared, but they are too aware of you being foreign. Sometimes you can see it in their eyes but not always. The rabbit in the headlights kind of wide eyed stare. They don't know what to say to you, they'll go silent for fear of you not understanding them. They've become so aware of the possibility of miscommunication, the possibility that you've said something wrong that they'll doubt their own natural ability to understand. The situation freaks them out.

This might give you the impression that you've said something wrong, or incomprehensible (and obviously sometimes that is the case!) but it's not always. They are just too aware of your foreignness, their brains freeze and they become overly focused on the words.

Most of understanding is not in the words. The majority of it comes from other factors, context being perhaps the biggest. When people go into this state of brain freeze, they're shutting out those other factors they'd naturally use in understanding (even in the same language) So panic not and don't doubt yourself. And, no, don't just repeat yourself louder!

I've even had one overly dramatic experience where the young shop assistant who, when I asked my simple intro question, literally exclaimed 'ah, anglais!' and ran off in search of a colleague! The exchange then progressed quite happily.

The best people to talk to, and happily most people fall into this category, talk as they normally would - albeit a little more slowly. One of my club mates in the cycling club would happily chat to me as we rode along, quite normally, for ages whilst others would steadfastly stay away from me. I didn't take it personally, they were just didn't know what to say.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The best people to talk to, and happily most people fall into this category, talk as they normally would - albeit a little more slowly.
Unless you are trying to communicate with a Glaswegian. Or worse, an Aberdonian. It's hard enough to understand them when you supposedly speak the same language!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Unless you are trying to communicate with a Glaswegian. Or worse, an Aberdonian. It's hard enough to understand them when you supposedly speak the same language!
I have come in contact with a lot of Glaswegians and have no problems but Doric is a different language. I agree that even when not speaking Doric Aberdonians can be a problem.
Used to be called Furry Boots City and nothing to do with footwear.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It is possible to be be mistaken in one sense. In the north of Belgium we could not understand why nobody would respond to our French but German or even as last resort English got by. Turned out they spoke another local language and refused to accept French for political reasons. Not until further south did anyone respond to French.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Whether you speak the local language fluently, a little, or not at all the basic rules are the same:
  • Be friendly
  • Be reassuring
  • Be unhurried
  • Be respectful
  • Act with the attitude and intention of using the other person's language
  • Aim for meaning rather than words and, especially rather than grammar
  • Remember that the only mistake is silence
  • Remember that no language is better or worse than any other
  • Should you meet distain, chauvinism, fear or incomprehension, polite persistence is the remedy

OP
OP
Y

yello

"be unhurried" :blush:

That's something I've yet to get to grips with. I start gabbling if I think I've not been understood! I really need to take a breath, think about what it is I'm trying to say and start again.

As a general rule, I don't think before I speak. I just speak. Much as I would in my mother tongue. This can give the impression of fluency, OR it can lead to a semi stream of consciousness sort of uttering that someone might find utterly baffling :laugh:

Sometimes I don't even know what I've just said! So, yes, being unhurried might work out better for me on balance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whether you speak the local language fluently, a little, or not at all the basic rules are the same:
  • Should you meet distain, chauvinism, fear or incomprehension, polite persistence is the remedy
My brother-in-law tried ordering in French at a restaurant in Paris. The waiter got more and more irritated at the delays, before finally snorting and saying...

"Per'aps eet wud be betterrrr to orderrrr een Eeeengleesh?"

He gave up!

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
When I worked in the Netherlands most people found it easier to speak English with me. I usually persisted in trying to speak Dutch for a few minutes then gave up with relief.

One day I was working with a chap who spoke only Dutch to me and never gave up; he stuck at it all day and so did I. By the end of the day I was absolutely exhausted.

His final words to me were (in English) to say that it is hard to learn a new language and he struggled when he first arrived from his native Edinburgh.

B@st@rd!:laugh:

Lozz360

Veteran
It is possible to be be mistaken in one sense. In the north of Belgium we could not understand why nobody would respond to our French but German or even as last resort English got by. Turned out they spoke another local language and refused to accept French for political reasons. Not until further south did anyone respond to French.
This local language wasn’t Dutch by any chance? Dutch is the first language of 60% of the Belgian population.

Top Bottom