Please recommend a treatment for full grain leather walking boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Hello. As per the title, I think I'm after a conditioning cream or some such, for my brand new full grain leather walking boots. There are various waterproofing waxes out there, but I'm really after something to nourish the leather.

Another question, is there any benefit from using moisturiser on leather boots? I'll not be trying this with my new boots, but possibly will with some very tired older ones.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I've only recently discovered mink oil, which I now use for everything :smile:

Well everything outdoor shoe related, anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
Another question, is there any benefit from using moisturiser on leather boots? I'll not be trying this with my new boots, but possibly will with some very tired older ones.

That depends very much on the leather and any surface treatment they may or may not have had, and any existing treatments or waxes that are already on/within the leather.

OP
OP
PedalCat

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Hmm, they've been waxed many, many times but have had some wet and muddy heavy use and are bone dry, ie water will not bead on them.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Shearing sheep is the best treatment. after a day shearing my work-boots used to be in tip top condition as the lanolin from the fleeces naturally worked into them.

if you can't find an obliging sheep farmer, maybe a lanolin based treatment as a compromise

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the only one i've used is this; every few years on a (now) 25 year old pair of hiking boots.

0bb1fddb916bc333ff143a6c8f9216e4.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
It’s probably gone out of fashion, but we used to use Dubbin. Very cheap.

My dad used to cover my rugby boots in the stuff.

Second dubbin....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've always used Nikwax or similar products; I think the tub I've got now is Graingers' version. The waxy stuff that comes in a tin or plastic tub rather than sprays or lotions. You need to apply it with fingers as the heat of your hands helps soften the stuff so it rubs in better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom