Recommendations for a non smart tv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm in the market for a new TV but don't need an android/smart one. I could always not connect one to the web, that's obviously an option. For me, sound is an issue. I'd want decent quality onboard sound without needing a soundbar etc. Maybe as big as 65".

Does that panel have any standout recommendations?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Virtually all new TV's sold now are smart to some degree or other. You don't have to use that functionality if you don't have a handy ethernet point etc.

Virtually all TV's compromise on speakers / sound to hit a competitive price point - think bikes and OEM wheels & tyres.

A sound bar is a relatively cheap investment, especially of you spending out for a 65" TV, I would save a bit of budget for a soundbar

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at AVforums for TV discussions
https://www.avforums.com/categories/tv-forums.297/
Depending on your budget, the main decision is between LED (or QLED as Samsung call it) and OLED. If on a budget, Hisense and TCL TVs do pretty well for their lower cost
You might find bundle deals on TV + soundbar in the upcoming Xmas sales
As above (nearly) all TVs have Smart functionality, you don't need to use it if you don't wish to.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm in the market for a new TV but don't need an android/smart one. I could always not connect one to the web, that's obviously an option. For me, sound is an issue. I'd want decent quality onboard sound without needing a soundbar etc. Maybe as big as 65".

Does that panel have any standout recommendations?

I don't think you will find a modern TV with really decent quality onboard sound. It seems to always be the first thing they compromise on, apparently with the assumption that anybody wantkng decent sound will get a soundbar or other audio system.

And you won't find one that sort of size that isn't a smart TV - though as you say, you don't have to use that functionality.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can Google best TV for sound...eg here's Techradar's recommendations (probably all pretty high end)
https://www.techradar.com/best/tvs-for-sound
The source material will also influence how good the sound is, eg the newest UHD broadcasts vs old SD.
However, if your hearing is poor, then a decent soundbar makes more sense

The current Sonys use the panel itself as the speaker and claim to be able to mimic Atmos. Reviews of the sound quality on, e.g. whathifi.com Not sure if you can even buy a "dumb" TV anymore

OP
OP
Y

yello

My issue with soundbars is more one of wires etc. I do not like unsightly wire clutter (so a battery powered bluetooth one is obviously the answer...)

I'll have a browse of Sony products, see if anything there floats my boat. 65" does seem immense but that's the recommended size for the viewing distance we'll have. I suspect however that our budget will be more of a deciding factor.... I'll just have to sit on the floor when I watch the tele.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I do not like unsightly wire clutter (so a battery powered bluetooth one is obviously the answer...)

obviously it depends how you set it up but can be wall mounted just below the TV and use the same wall channel for TV cables or if a "set on a unit top" set up then wires hit behind it. The optic cable between TV and a sound bar are very thin too which helps.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
How about this from Radio Rentals?

FY1VOSKFLROK84Z.LARGE_.jpg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My issue with soundbars is more one of wires etc. I do not like unsightly wire clutter (so a battery powered bluetooth one is obviously the answer...)

I'll have a browse of Sony products, see if anything there floats my boat. 65" does seem immense but that's the recommended size for the viewing distance we'll have. I suspect however that our budget will be more of a deciding factor.... I'll just have to sit on the floor when I watch the tele.

The soundbar generally sits in front and below your TV, so wires can be tucked back out the way and hidden. I have an Amp and speakers, and subwoofer, and all the wires are tucked behinf the TV unit. You can get Bluetooth soundbars but I've never used one; but reading the reviews I think you get what you pay for in terms of easy connectivity and of course sound quality

Top Bottom