A Tough Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Hi

I am in this region and was planning on getting in some hill work in crossing this monster
biggrin.png
confused.png
I am about 20 km from the hill start . Would like to go all the way to the mast but the carpark at the road would be good for a start. Last optional 2.3 km has average gradient of 16 percent

I know this is a very subjective question but what would your reccomended gearing be for someone 90kg...... hope that will be down before the summers end
confused.png
confused.png
I am using 53/39 and 12 - 34 cassette at the moment. I have a few chainsets available , compact 50/34 and a triple 30/39/53 but need new bb fitted for theese and would need lbs services for that
eek.png

My cycling has been down a lot in the last 6/8 weeks because of weather and other reasons but want to get back at it before I quit altogether.

any thoughts ?

link to this local mountain description http://cycleireland.ie/mount-leinster-cycle-loop/

Attachments

• confused.png
    confused.png
    821 bytes · Views: 33
  • confused.png
    confused.png
    821 bytes · Views: 34

raindog

er.....
Just go for it with the 39/34 and enjoy yourself. If you have to get off and walk for a few metres what does it matter?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just go for it with the 39/34 and enjoy yourself. If you have to get off and walk for a few metres what does it matter?
He would probably end up walking the entire 2.3 km!

I am basing that on the assumption that anybody who has to ask about gearing, weighs 90 kg, and who has hardly ridden for 6-8 weeks is going to really struggle on a climb like that.

We have a tough climb here - Church Lane/Mytholm steeps - which averages 14% for 1.3 km and that is a pig. Another km in distance and 2% in gradient ... ouch!

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
One of the things i find difficult is leaving it to late to unclip from the pedals ....... and the steeper the worse it gets because of losing momemtum so quickly.... nearly ended on the road a few times because of it ! I doubt i would be able to get going again if i had to dismount on a gradient of 8 - 10 pc. As far as i know 12pc is hardest gradient i have cycled over in the last few year anyway ?

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
He would probably end up walking the entire 2.3 km!

I am basing that on the assumption that anybody who has to ask about gearing, weighs 90 kg, and who has hardly ridden for 6-8 weeks is going to really struggle on a climb like that.

We have a tough climb here - Church Lane/Mytholm steeps - which averages 14% for 1.3 km and that is a pig. Another km in distance and 2% in gradient ... ouch!

Hello Colin,

I dont plan on taking this on for a month or so anyways. Have lost a lot of days cycling through high winds and rain here. Its country roads i use and not worth the risk being sucked under a speeding lorry, so i use walks up to 10 km daily to do something worthwhile. I started back cycling in 2009 after a brief resurgance in 1998 for a few months so have built up a bit gradually. Its last summer since i have covered above 80km. I always cycle alone so it gets a bit tedious at times and a bit of variety might be good.

I wonder would the compact cs fit staight on without have to change the BB.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Martin.

I have never used a compact chainset - I prefer triples, so that is what I use. A triple has smaller steps between chainrings and can cover a wider range of gears. When you get fitter, you could start using a cassette with a narrower range of gears with smaller steps between them.

I reckon you should forget the extra steep part of that climb until you have got at least 3 or 4 months of regular riding in. Well, there is no harm in having a go at it, but I wouldn't expect to conquer it without very low gears and/or a lot of kms in your legs.

Try and find somebody to cycle with and you will probably get out more.

Top Bottom