A trick of the light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Has somebody nicked another, you had 5 on the back last week? :whistle:
No, it was only ever 4.

Davidc

Guru
I can think of yet more reasons to have 2 front lights:
  • A steady, low-mounted light is better at illuminating potholes and ridges, due to the oblique angle of the beam relative to the road surface
  • A bar- (or helmet-) mounted light is better for being seen, as it is mounted high enough to avoid being blocked by car bodywork. As a be-seen light, a flasher would work well
  • A high- and low- mounted pair gives a cue for distance without risk of the "distant car headlights" optical illusion.
Wouldn't argue. I meant to imply one overwhelming reason. I don't use flashers at the front because they drive me nuts and I do take the German research results into account. Generally the principle that no one can claim not to have seen me without admitting to being asleep, blind, or looking at their phone, applies.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I was first knocked down in 1999 on a roundabout an RAC guy who witnessed it said to the driver "He was lit up like a f****g Christmas tree and you still f****g hit him!" So there is a school of thought that suggests more lights and much brighter lights gives motons a better target to aim at. My experiences would support this. It would seem cycling ninja chavs dressed in black on a BSO with no lights and headphones in their ears that suddenly jump off pavements across your path causing you to swerve NEVER get knocked down.
They get knocked down, but being made of a rubber like sustance, they just bounce and are able to walk away.

Top Bottom