A trick of the light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
the bottom line is... I get much wider passes at night than i do in the day whether I'm on static or flashing, one light or a dozen, which just proves they do see you and are more worried about their own car than you (you don't think they go wide for any other reason than they can't judge the width of you and the oncoming traffic, and they might scratch their car, do you?). In the day they risk your life bcoz they think they can judge that 6 inches between you and them coz they can fully see you. So, if they hit you at night, its not coz they CAN'T see your light, its coz they DIDN'T see you coz they weren't looking at the road ahead.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
the problem with reflectors though is that its not until they are within headlight range that you see them, and if the car is already going too fast it might be too late by then.
But if something's within headlight range, then I know exactly how far away it is...

buggi

Bird Saviour
He he: a pedestrian also complained about this light last winter.
It is a very bright CatEye, bought it to see where I'm going in the unlit park on my commute.

@potsy , @buggi no fear, I've got more lights than Santa's sleight on my bikes, planning to keep it that way ... note cyclecraft (page 35) says one good lamp at the front and rear suffice :whistle:
That book gives me cycling angst!
"suffice" is the key word. it may suffice but you can do better.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
"suffice" is the key word. it may suffice but you can do better.
The blasted book says "more than one good lamp at front or rear is unnecessary and unlikely to achieve much practical advantage"
Think THE BOOK is soon gonna be donated to the local cat & dog charity shop :evil:
(after I commit it to memory, just in case :laugh:)

buggi

Bird Saviour
The blasted book says "more than one good lamp at front or rear is unnecessary and unlikely to achieve much practical advantage"
Think THE BOOK is soon gonna be donated to the local cat & dog charity shop :evil:
(after I commit it to memory, just in case :laugh:)
lol I've never read it, but i hear its a good book. It's correct tho, if they don't see one good one, they're unlikely to see two, but i always recommend two... one for back up in case the other fails.

Crankarm

Guru
2,200 lumens! You're dead right there Pat. But no one, no one would ever give you any aggro ever again. Strong enough to melt paint. Wowww weeeeee!

Davidc

Guru
Apart from a mix of steady and flashing there's only one reason for using 2 lights in town. It's to make sure that if one fails there's another to be seen by (rear) or see by (front). Anyone with a Hope V1 will understand the front issue!

At the front I also find it useful, on unlit roads, to aim the second light at the nearside edge so I can see where it has crumbled away or has extended potholes. Also seems to persuade small animals to stay still.

Cyclecraft is good, but I don't agree with all of it, and definitely not with that statement.

snailracer

Über Member
Apart from a mix of steady and flashing there's only one reason for using 2 lights in town. It's to make sure that if one fails there's another to be seen by (rear) or see by (front). Anyone with a Hope V1 will understand the front issue!

At the front I also find it useful, on unlit roads, to aim the second light at the nearside edge so I can see where it has crumbled away or has extended potholes. Also seems to persuade small animals to stay still.

Cyclecraft is good, but I don't agree with all of it, and definitely not with that statement.
I can think of yet more reasons to have 2 front lights:
  • A steady, low-mounted light is better at illuminating potholes and ridges, due to the oblique angle of the beam relative to the road surface
  • A bar- (or helmet-) mounted light is better for being seen, as it is mounted high enough to avoid being blocked by car bodywork. As a be-seen light, a flasher would work well
  • A high- and low- mounted pair gives a cue for distance without risk of the "distant car headlights" optical illusion.

Top Bottom